Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax nightmare

tag
kisbel65
New Contributor

Equifax nightmare

I have several accounts on equifax with an incorrect status. I have sent them numerous letters requesting the change of status from 120 past due to paid in settlement. The accounts have no account number reported, yet they are still showing up on my report. What do I do to get them to report correctly?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Re: Equifax nightmare

I am not sure of the process in settling an account. So if my question is off the mark tell me so I can learn. Do have any paperwork from the creditor related to the settlement and a copy of the cancelled check?  If so submit that with the dispute that should be enough to fix it. What I am trying to get is something showing the settlement offer or the transaction was completed and the cancelled check as proof. If that does not work call the creditor and see if they will update Equifax for you.
FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 2 of 7
nothingman02
Valued Contributor

If its a CA a/c, DV them.

If its the OC, call and question them and obtain the a/c numbers and mailing address and also write to them.

As mentioned, gather the payment proof and mail again to EQ.

120 days past due is inaccurate reporting for a paid a/c. Period. It has to be corrected.

Message 3 of 7
kisbel65
New Contributor

I have sent them documentation that the account has been paid with an online statement from my back. They updated the balance to zero, but the status stays the same....120 days past due.
Message 4 of 7
nothingman02
Valued Contributor

Is it an OC or a CA. The reporting seems incorrect.
Message 5 of 7
2wheel
Frequent Contributor

Was it a collection account? If so make sure the narrative code is correct. Status code ( G ) Is equifax code for collection. Also make sure the account is closed and not open Therfor the collection company can not update it on a monthly basis. Some companies like RJM And Midland credit managment show up in your open accounts at equifax with 120 days past due on it. Equifax will not fix it I have tried and tried but thats how they show it.

Just make sure its closed and coded correctly and eventully in time it isnt going to hurt your score as much...

2wheel
Message 6 of 7
nothingman02
Valued Contributor

+1
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.