cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax number to remove extended fraud alert?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax number to remove extended fraud alert?

These clowns put an extended alert on my profile without my knowledge or consent. I've tried a bunch of numbers I found online and they all give me the automated system.

Is there a number I can call to get this taken care of? Or can I do it online? I just need to get it done today as Capital One is giving me crap about it, I can't wait by mailing.

Thanks

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Equifax number to remove extended fraud alert?

I found it: Number is: 1-877-784-2528 and ask for fraud department. I was on hold for maybe 20 minutes at first, then 2 minutes to get transfered, and 5 minutes to complete the process after verification.

Thank god!  Cheers Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

They did the same thing to me and Citi was wondering what was going on when I app'd for their TYP.  Thanks for the #  Woman Very Happy

Message 3 of 9
jesseh
Frequent Contributor

(877) 784-2528 really is the only number I've found to get to their normal customer service. Other numbers require a report number or are CS for the products they sell

Cards: BCE 24k 5/'17 | CF 12k 10/'15 | IHG 12k 10/'15 | HH 6k 6/'18 | DS It 6k 3/'15 | TR 5k 11/'15
Scores: 760-770 | Inquiries: 0-1 | Utilization: 0-10% | AAoA: 3yrs | Bank: Ally | CU's: Navy & Pentagon
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to get a fraud alert removed from Experian myself that I did NOT ask them to put on there. Smiley Mad

Message 5 of 9
RonM21
Valued Contributor

OP good that you got it.resolved without too much of a headache.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 6 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I am aware of CRAs putting initial fraud alerts on consumer files, but not extended fraud alerts.

Under the FCRA, either type is only imposed upon request by the consumer or his/her authorized agent.

However, the CRAs have interpreted that raising by a consumer of any issues of fraud or identity theft carries an implied request for a fraud alert, and thus do it routinely.

I have no real problem with that if it is only an initial alert.

However, and extended alert requires filing of a police report alleging actual as opposed to suspected fraud/identity theft.

It is a bit of a stretch to assume impied filing of a police report.........!

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I found it: Number is: 1-877-784-2528 and ask for fraud department. I was on hold for maybe 20 minutes at first, then 2 minutes to get transfered, and 5 minutes to complete the process after verification.

Thank god!  Cheers Smiley Very Happy

I tried this - Called and asked for the fraud department immediately.  After holding almost 20 mins, I got a rep who asked me about 5 verification questions and removed my extended fraud alert and promo block!! Only downside was the rep, after removing blocks, tried to sell me on the credit monitoring through Equifax. Told him I'm a myFICO member and he stopped his speil immediately.

Iv'e called regular customer service a few times and was told that I'd have to send a written request. Such a relief!  

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having THE hardest time getting someone on the phone with Experian; I can't escape the automated loop. Same situation - CapOne says I need to have info in a fraud alert removed or updated before I can go any further. Grrrr!
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.