cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax vs Transunion credit account number

tag
logicworkz

Equifax vs Transunion credit account number

Hey everyone! I've been lurking for years but never found a problem i couldn't solve without a little research until now....

I've been a Score Watch user for about 3 years now. I decided to add the Transunion score to the Score Watch display and much to my dismay, the Transunion score is 37 points lower than my Equifax score! I've compared both reports and the only one thing that stands out is the total number of accounts. I have 8 active credit accounts (including Mtg, Auto, CC) but my total history of credit includes 26 accounts. Most of the accounts have been paid off and closed anywhere from 5 - 10 years ago.

On my Transunion report, they note that i have a total of 26 credit accounts and that it's negatively impacting my score. 18 of those accounts no longer exist!!! Why is Transunion counting non-existent accounts against my score? The Equifax lists all 26 but only counts the 8 that are active...Why doesn't Equifax do the same as Transunion & count them towards my score?

If i dispute the 18 closed accounts and have them removed from the Transunion report, do i lose my credit history? If so, how do i handle this otherwise? I think losing the credit history would be more devastating to my score than having too many accounts, no? 

I'm closing in on 800 and i feel like i'm starting over after looking at the Transunion score Smiley Sad

Thanks!

Starting Score: 669
Current Score: 747
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Re: Equifax vs Transunion credit account number

Are the active account on Trans Union and Equifax the same ones? My definition of active account is one that has been reported (date reported) in the last six months.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.