Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Erroneous Charge-off without paperwork - advice needed

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Erroneous Charge-off without paperwork - advice needed

Several years ago, I opened an in-store credit card account at Banana Republic and charged $100.

I never received a bill, or the credit card. Which, being busy in life, I never noticed.

9 months later, I received a collection agency notice for the bill, which I paid IMMEDIATELY in horror.

This terrible event continues to be reported on my credit report as bad debt/charge off and is really dragging down my score, which should be excellent.

Because I never received a bill of any sort, I have no documentation of the lack of billing... yet I cannot believe there isn't something I can do about this to have it get off my report. Also, it looks like the bad debt was RE-REPORTED recently, which means it may live for another 7 years on my report?

Any advice would be most appreciated.
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Boswd
Valued Contributor

Re: Erroneous Charge-off without paperwork - advice needed

Ultimatley the responsibility always falls on the debtor to have the debt paid even if you don't get a bill.    Saying I never got a bill will never hold up.  

Message Edited by Boswd on 11-16-2007 12:28 PM
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.