Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Establishing Credit After Fraud.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Establishing Credit After Fraud.

Hi, I'm new I was wondering if anyone of you could grace me with your advice,experiences,tips etc. On establishing credit after fraud. I am 21 I have never had any reason to obtain credit until recently over the past 2 months. Since the beginning of April I have been declined a line of credit from approx. 5 lenders (BOA,Wachovia,Best Buy,Walmart & Target). I stopped trying after being told that I was decreasing my credit score in process, at which I thought was odd being I have never even established it in the first place. I was curious as to why no one would extend me credit and assumed that there had to be some other undisclosed factor for its reasoning. So this morning I decided to check my credit report for the first time ever. To my astonishment someone had already done me the "favor" of establishing it for me. In disbelief I go over all 6 of the listed items (which were all opened before I was 18, with 1 being opened during my last year of middle school). There was a checking account opened through Wachovia (When did they stop asking for id?), A line of credit from Capitol One, A line of service courtesy of Verizon and a few collection items. Seriously its truly disturbing how someone can bypass verification and take advantage of another individuals identity for there own personal gain.

So I immediately called Experian and alerted them about the accounts and had an fraud alert placed under my name. Also not only was my date of birth incorrect (they had me listed as being 3 years older than I was) the Last name they had me listed under wasn't even remotely similar to mines, which lead me to believe that some other persons identity was being tied to mines. Experian exclaimed to me that was not the case. My question is how the hell can one establish credit under a minors name? Don't these credit agencies have access to Social Security info that verifies an individuals address date of birth etc. through their social? Another question is where do I go from here? 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Establishing Credit After Fraud.

Hi and welcome to the forums.

First thing I would do is file a police report.  Get a copy of "your" credit report for proof.

After you recieve the report, send it to the CRAs asking them to block the information.  I can't remember the exact FCRA section this falls under, I will have to look it up.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Establishing Credit After Fraud.

FCRA 605A for fraud alerts, and FCRA 605B for blocking of information in your credit report resulting from identity theft.

Identity theft (police) reports are defined in FCRA 603(q).

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.