cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ever heard of Genesis Credit or Genesis Collection?

tag
EW800
Valued Contributor

Ever heard of Genesis Credit or Genesis Collection?

Hi All,  

This past week, I had "GENESIS" pop up as a caller to my cell phone, with a phone number of 509.643.4733, out of Sunnyside, WA.  They called twice on Friday and did not leave a message.  Anyone ever heard of them?  I did some Google searching and it appears they are or may be a collection agency.  

I have absolutely no reason to believe that my wife or I owe anyone anywhere even a dime.  Our financial issues from the past are about five years old, so basically there should not be anything out there that we are aware of.  Based on that fact, would you suggest that if they call again that I answer to see what they want or is it best to just ignore the calls?   After the great progress we have made in turning our creidt around, the last thing I want is to have anything pop up on our credit reports that we did not know about.  

Thanks for any expert thoughts!  

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Re: Ever heard of Genesis Credit or Genesis Collection?

I would answer it. If it's for you, you'll want to deal with it so you don't hurt your rebuild. It may be that they are looking for a relative. My parents get monthly phone calls regarding my sister's defaulted student loans.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would wait for them to call again, and let them identify that they are calling regarding collection on a debt.

That call will then clearly be an initial communication regarding the asserted debt, thus triggering their requirement to send dunning notice within 5 days.  FDCPA 809(a).

I would inform them when they have identified a debt that you await their rquired collection ("dunning") notice prior to any discussion of the debt, and hang up.

Once you receive dunning notice, you will then have at least the name of the current owner.

If you want more info, you can then send a debt validation (DV) request under FDCPA 809(b), requesting verification, and if dunning notice did not provide the name of the original creditor, a request for their name.

Finally, what is your state of residence?

A few states now have enhanced debt validation statutes/regs, and you might be able to send a state version of a DV......

Message 3 of 6
EW800
Valued Contributor

Thank you!  I am in California.

They have not called since Friday.  I did more searching on the number and did not find a whole lot, other than some comments about their primary business dealing with apartment leases, which would not apply to us and has not in about 30 years.  At this point, still no idea why they called.  I am hoping that perhaps they are just trying to find someone else or have a bad number.  

Thank you for the great info!  

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 4 of 6
EW800
Valued Contributor

Robert, I have an afterthought...   I am just trying to have my ducks in line if by chance they do call again.  If they ask for my address, is it typically best to give my address or decline that?

Thanks again!  

Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Your call.

My general thought would be that if you have been a resident at the same address for an extended period, then any legit creditor would have had it, and thus so should the debt collector, and thus I would expect them to send to the proper address.

Opposing thought would be if want to receive dunning notice information, then provide them with the address.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.