Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ex-wife wrecked my credit rating

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Ex-wife wrecked my credit rating

biscuit,

I think MercyMe was paying you a compliment. Most folks post divorce are very bitter and resentful of their ex. I know a number of people who've been thru a divorce, and you are in the minority.
Message 21 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

biscuit,

Suing your ex for breach is the legal remedy. If you aren't willing to sue, then I'd try GW with your ex. If y'all are on good terms, try helping her help herself. If she can improve her credit situation, then she might be in a better position to take on the debts herself and get yourself out from under that safe.

Message 22 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

My bad then. Hard to tell without facial expressions. Could easily be misconstrued as dripping sarcasm or maybe I'm too cynical myself. Nonetheless, no harm done.

I was just lucky that it wasn't a knock-down, drag-out divorce. It was smooth as silk, except for her damaging my credit, that is. Smiley Wink And yes, oddly enough, we are still good friends. My fiancee even approves. How odd is that?
Message 23 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, that's out then.

We did try GW with the creditor. Is that not what you are referring to? Her situation won't get much better anytime soon as she still is flaky, but I think her awareness level has significantly raised and that she won't let things slip by so easily. The good news is that we have no shared credit anymore. Just the repo'ed car.

@Anonymous wrote:
biscuit,

Suing your ex for breach is the legal remedy. If you aren't willing to sue, then I'd try GW with your ex. If y'all are on good terms, try helping her help herself. If she can improve her credit situation, then she might be in a better position to take on the debts herself and get yourself out from under that safe.

Message 24 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually, I meant GW with the ex. Talking to her to help her help herself with her credit, and in turn help you.

Message 25 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Biscuit -

Beware, I'm going OT here ...

Have you discussed with your fiancee how you two will handle finances, especially things like joint liability for debts?  And communication about that icky subject, money?

What about a prenup?

I'm just raising the issues, no need to answer or defend your positions.
Message 26 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I see. Hadn't thought of that. We speak frequently, so I could just basically say it to her, skipping the formality of the letter. But again, at this point, we share no liabilities, so it's a done deal.
Message 27 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good observation. I hadn't even thought of that yet. Perhaps because my fiancee is the polar opposite of the ex. Financially responsible and successful. But it's just that same kind of blind trust that cost me in the last one, so I will definitely need to address it. Thanks for the heads up.

@Anonymous wrote:
Biscuit -

Beware, I'm going OT here ...

Have you discussed with your fiancee how you two will handle finances, especially things like joint liability for debts?  And communication about that icky subject, money?

What about a prenup?

I'm just raising the issues, no need to answer or defend your positions.

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.