cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excuse me for not being more informed about SOLs, but Tus...

tag
HArley

Excuse me for not being more informed about SOLs, but Tus...

Excuse me for not being more informed about SOLs, but Tuscani mention a site to check on SOL.  My question is if the SOL for your state is 4 years on written agreements and 4 years on ....(whatever)  does this mean that after 4 years they remove this from your credit report or what?  I am not understanding the SOL questions  that are being deferred to. 

For instance I have a collection agency that steadily reports on my credit an outstanding phone bill with Southwestern Bell .... I have ask for proof ...no proof... I have disputed it...stills remains and they are reporting monthly.  The funny thing is that  since 2004 (over 4 yrs) I have had Southwestern Bell ..now ATT as my phone service.  Also at the time they are alleging that I owed this bill I was not in a State where SWB serves.  And the last state that could have been suggested was 2000.

So what do you do?  They steadily call...and report on my credit....HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Excuse me for not being more informed about SOLs, but Tus...

HArley wrote:
Excuse me for not being more informed about SOLs, but Tuscani mention a site to check on SOL.  My question is if the SOL for your state is 4 years on written agreements and 4 years on ....(whatever)  does this mean that after 4 years they remove this from your credit report or what?  I am not understanding the SOL questions  that are being deferred to. 

For instance I have a collection agency that steadily reports on my credit an outstanding phone bill with Southwestern Bell .... I have ask for proof ...no proof... I have disputed it...stills remains and they are reporting monthly.  The funny thing is that  since 2004 (over 4 yrs) I have had Southwestern Bell ..now ATT as my phone service.  Also at the time they are alleging that I owed this bill I was not in a State where SWB serves.  And the last state that could have been suggested was 2000.

So what do you do?  They steadily call...and report on my credit....HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

The SOL has to do with whether or not you can be legally sued. Not how long a TL can stay on your report.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tuscani wrote:

HArley wrote:

The SOL has to do with whether or not you can be legally sued. Not how long a TL can stay on your report.

Technically ... anyone can sue you for anything.  The SOL won't stop someone from sueing you.  What the SOL provides is a defense for you to argue in court if they do.
Message 3 of 6
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

masdeocho wrote:

Tuscani wrote:

HArley wrote:

Technically ... anyone can sue you for anything.  The SOL won't stop someone from sueing you.  What the SOL provides is a defense for you to argue in court if they do.

Right you are. That's what I meant, but I should have been more clear. Thanks!
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm just nitpicking, although I don't want people to think they are insulated from being sued because the SOL has expired. 
Message 5 of 6
naf
Valued Member

Hello everyone

I'm new to these boards so please bear with me. I just have a couple of questions I hoped you could help me with.

I had pitiful credit about four years ago. And by working hard, I slowly, but surely drug my scores from the mud to respectable levels - EQ 741 - EX 748 and TU 744.

First question ~ my EQ and TU just dropped 5 points and I had no late payments or inquiries. The only thing I did different was charged on a couple of cards that previously had been dormant. But they were small charges (under $200) each. I continued to charge like normal on the one Visa card I normally charge on - roughly $1500 that I normally pay off each month.

Why in the world would my score drop that much?

Question 2 ~ Now most of the companies I buy the scores from either rate my credit as good or excellent yet I still have the "black years" on my credit report. When I look for a new car, will those late payments hamper me from receiving a good interest rate even if my credit score is now fairly high?

Thanks ~
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.