Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian - AnnualCreditReport.com

tag
BamCat
Established Member

Experian - AnnualCreditReport.com

I check all three credit reports every year via AnnualCreditReport.com.  As part of the process, each credit reporting agency asks questions to confirm my identity (Who holds your mortgage loan?, Which of the following streets have you lived on?, etc.).  Once the questions are answered correctly, I can immediately access my credit report.  This process works fine with two of the agencies, but not with Experian.  Every year I answer their questions correctly, but they always respond that for security reasons they cannot give me access to my report but will mail me a code to allow access.  My questions are:

Has this happened to any of you?

Why did this year's questions include:  Which of the following is your primary bank?  and Which of the following are the last four digits of your primary bank account?   I didn't think credit files included bank accounts; so how would Experian know that information?

Thanks everyone!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Experian - AnnualCreditReport.com

@BamCat wrote:

I check all three credit reports every year via AnnualCreditReport.com.  As part of the process, each credit reporting agency asks questions to confirm my identity (Who holds your mortgage loan?, Which of the following streets have you lived on?, etc.).  Once the questions are answered correctly, I can immediately access my credit report.  This process works fine with two of the agencies, but not with Experian.  Every year I answer their questions correctly, but they always respond that for security reasons they cannot give me access to my report but will mail me a code to allow access.  My questions are:

Has this happened to any of you?

Why did this year's questions include:  Which of the following is your primary bank?  and Which of the following are the last four digits of your primary bank account?   I didn't think credit files included bank accounts; so how would Experian know that information?

Thanks everyone!

There is no way on this green earth that I would answer those questions. Are you sure you were on the right site and not hacked?

I know that all of these companies have become more and more intrusive asking detailed personal and background info for our "protection". But when someone asks for your bank account info, and you are not on a secured site making a payment, don't give it out. Period. No one needs to know your bank account info except for you and the vendor you are paying at that moment with your account.  Be careful.

Message 2 of 9
BamCat
Established Member

Thank you for your reply and concern.  They didn't ask me to provide information.  They just listed four banks (none of which was mine) along with none of the above (which I selected) and four 4-digit numbers (none of which was mine) along with none of the above (which I selected).  I go to AnnualCreditReport.com three times a year, and I'm sure I wasn't hacked. 

Message 3 of 9
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Thank goodness.

However, they still really shouldn't be asking you that particular question. I am just ranting now...but these companies are going way too far under the pretense of protection when really they are gathing up all the info on you and I during the process. (A 'none above' gives them info too).

lol..don't get me started. I will get off my soapbox now....

Message 4 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Since annualcreditreport.com is restricted ONLY to use by a consumer in obtaining their own credit report, personally I would be more concerned if they did not ask identification questions that are likely to be known only by the consumer.

Message 5 of 9
BamCat
Established Member

I don't mind that they ask questions, but I wondered why they would be asking about bank accounts (because bank accounts aren't on credit reports).  How would they confirm whether my answers are correct? 

I also wonder why Experian asks the questions every year, and I answer them every year, and every year they then say they can't provide my report online and have to send me a code in the mail.  The other two agencies give me immediate access to my report after I answer their questions.

Message 6 of 9
Slab
Frequent Contributor

@BamCat wrote:

I don't mind that they ask questions, but I wondered why they would be asking about bank accounts (because bank accounts aren't on credit reports).  How would they confirm whether my answers are correct? 

I also wonder why Experian asks the questions every year, and I answer them every year, and every year they then say they can't provide my report online and have to send me a code in the mail.  The other two agencies give me immediate access to my report after I answer their questions.

The same thing happened to me on Monday. If you call the number they provide, you will go in circles but eventually answer some automated questions and then it says I will receive my EX report in about a month. I did not have the same problem with EQ and TU. Hope this helps. Also, some of the questions that they ask are trick questions so as to keep others from accessing your file. I would say that they don't know your bank account number, just seeing if you check mark something that you shouldn;t. Anything that you know does not fit you, check (none of the above).

Equifax FICO 781, Transunion FICO 821, Experian FICO 807,

810 goal on all three by 3-1-2015
Message 7 of 9
BamCat
Established Member

Slab - Thanks for providing your experience.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who has problems with Experian.  I know what you mean about trick questions.  I'm often asked about car loans (which I haven't had in over 20 years) and leases (which I've never had).  Thanks again.

Message 8 of 9
Slab
Frequent Contributor

You are welcome. I know how frusturating it is to get that EX credit file. Try the phone number. We want immediate answers but in this case, it looks like you and I will have to wait for the mail unless they give you the code. good luck.

Equifax FICO 781, Transunion FICO 821, Experian FICO 807,

810 goal on all three by 3-1-2015
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.