cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian Credit Report - why can't I get one?

tag
MamaCat

Experian Credit Report - why can't I get one?

I have been trying to get my free yearly copies of all three credit reports. I was able to access Equifax on-line. TransUnion would not release a report on-line, but I should be receiving a paper copy in the mail in about a week. Experian seems to think I don't exist. I had planned to wait until after my cc reports, and then send in a paper request, however we talked to a mortgage lender yesterday, and he was only able to pull 2 of my three FICO scores. I know that one was Equifax because the number matched the number in my myFICO report. I assume the other was TransUnion, because I was able to order that report. What could be causing Experian not to report me at all? I found several different phone numbers for Experian. Some led me back to "go to our website." Others told me they were unable to process my request. I eventually found a number that had an option for something along the line of 'I was turned down for a loan or told that I would have worse conditions for a loan as a result of my credit score' and I selected that option. (The lending agent we spoke to averages the three FICO scores, so because I only had 2 available, they couldn't offer me a pre-approval or pre-qualifying letter). Experian gave me a confirmation number, but no option to actually get a report. From what I have found, I can't talk to a customer service person unless I have a report number, and I can't get a report number until I figure out why I can't get a report! Help! What should I do? I have an established credit history, including a regularly used cc account that I opened in 1997, but this is the first time I have attempted to get copies of my reports.

TL/DR summary: How can I get a free annual report from Experian if neither the website nor the automated phone system will issue one?

03/15/2012 EQ: 784 (myFICO Score Watch alert)
03/01/2012 EQ:720 TU:797 EX:788 (lender pull)
02/29/2012 TU: 814 (myFICO quarterly report)
02/28/2012 EQ:720 (myFICO Score Watch alert)
02/27/2012 EQ:720 TU:746 EX:788 (lender pull)
02/15/2012 EQ:694 TU:746 (lender pull)
02/14/2012 EQ:694 (myFICO)
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Experian Credit Report - why can't I get one?

For clarification...Your lender will pull a tri-merge report. Within the report showing all 3, there's also a separate section for scores. Was your lender able to pull an EX report? I understand he wasn't able to get a score.

Double check with your lender. I haven't heard of lenders averaging all 3 scores. They'll take the mid score though (lower of the two mid scores if applying jointly).

If you still have that number (10-12 digits IIRC), then try going through the dispute link below. Maybe the rep actually gave you a report number. Don't dispute anything, but you can input that number and other info, and you can view your EX report if the number works.

https://www.experian.com/consumer/cac/InvalidateSession.do?code=DISPUTE&channel=8342

If your lender did pull a tri-merge report, and there's no score, then there's not enough information to provide a FICO score. There might be a chance that CC doesn't report to EX. Not every CC reports to all 3. Is that the only account you have? If that's the only and you have no other accounts, then I don't think you'd have an EX file.

Message 2 of 5
MamaCat

It sounded like the lender wasn't able to pull anything from the third agency (I am assuming it was EX because they are the only agency that I also have been unable to get info from).

I tried the link you provided and the "confirmation number" I received is _not_ a report number.

The cc I use is a VISA issues through Wells Fargo, opened in 1997. It has been active since that time, because even when I had other cards open, the VISA is the one I used regularly. My EQ report shows several other account that have since been closed. AMEX closed in 10/04 (I didn't want to pay the yearly fee). Discover closed in 1/09. Store card closed in 2/06. (I took a "personal finance" class during my undergrad years, and they told me, apparently erroneously, that every open cl was a mark against me, and suggested keeping only one cc. I wish I had known then about gardening with ccs).

If I don't have enough info to have an EX report, how do I go about getting them to recognizing me? We are searching for a mortgage, so I don't want to try opening other credit lines right now because of the damage it will do to the other scores in the short term.

Message 3 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

By law, your lender is required to give you a copy of what they pulled. I would get a copy. If you have an EX report, it'll show your info with, at the least, your demographics like name, address, etc. If that appears for EX, you have an EX report, but there isn't enough info on there to provide a FICO score.

The minimums for a FICO score is that you must have an open account, updating for at least the past 6 months. And you can't be dead. No joke, if you are a joint account holder on a deceased family member's old CC, then that can impact things too. BTW, the open CC (WF) cannot be under dispute as that would prevent a score.

I have a WF Visa that came via the buyout of Wachovia. It reports on my EX. I would at least call Wells Fargo to see if indeed they report. Most CSRs are clueless, but the one time I did call them, the rep I talked to had specific, detailed knowledge on credit reporting. I'd hear them out.

Assuming it's just an issue of a lack of score (again, contact the lender and ask for a copy of the tri-merge report), and assuming WF isn't report, or isn't updating for whatever reason, then look at alternatives to adding credit. Do you have a spouse or family member who has a CC you can be added to as a authorized user? If a clean history and low util, and older than 6 months, you'd get an instant FICO. An alternative would be to call Amex and open a new account. They will backdate and you'd have instant history when it reports.

Message 4 of 5
MamaCat

Update: It looks like the problem was a combination of bad web design on the Experian side, and typos on the lender side.

I finally talked to a real person at Experian (using gethuman.com to find a phone number that would connect me to something other than recordings). After getting passed around a bit, I found someone who told me that my report had actually generated, and was being sent by snail mail. In spite of the fact that their automated system told me they were unable to generate a report without mailing in a written request, the report did show up a few days ago.

I had the lender pull my scores again, making sure he had the proper spelling for my name and the correct birthdate, and he was able to get a report from all 3 CRAs this time around.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.