Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian Credit Report

tag
chan85
Established Contributor

Experian Credit Report

I am asking this question on behalf of a co-worker...

He tried to pull his free annual reports and Experian asked him some security questions that he couldn't answer. Something about a mortage in his name- which he doesn't have, he was pulling the report in order to see what was there so he can prepare for buying a house soon- so there appears to be some fraud occuring. He has called multiple times and gone through the automated process in order to get a copy sent to him since he couldn't get it online. This has been going on for several months and still hasn't received anything in the mail. He had to send in proof of identiy- still heard nothing back. I gave him the number I found on here to call and the instuctions per the post were to keep pressing "0" to get to a rep. He said he called and did so and the automated message said he can keep hitting zero all he wants but without a credit report number, (which he can't get since he can't access the report) he won't get a representative!!

Any advice on where to go from here? Could he put a fraud alert on his other reports that may trigger some action from Experian and allow him to talk to somebody or will they tighten down even more and he never reach anyone?

Current Debt Management:
$15k Trinity Financial Management (scheduled pay off late 2021)
$10k NFCU
$350/mth Bridgecrest Auto Loan
Goals: Pay off credit card debt & buy a new home before end of 2020

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Experian Credit Report

@chan85 wrote:

I am asking this question on behalf of a co-worker...

He tried to pull his free annual reports and Experian asked him some security questions that he couldn't answer. Something about a mortage in his name- which he doesn't have, he was pulling the report in order to see what was there so he can prepare for buying a house soon- so there appears to be some fraud occuring. He has called multiple times and gone through the automated process in order to get a copy sent to him since he couldn't get it online. This has been going on for several months and still hasn't received anything in the mail. He had to send in proof of identiy- still heard nothing back. I gave him the number I found on here to call and the instuctions per the post were to keep pressing "0" to get to a rep. He said he called and did so and the automated message said he can keep hitting zero all he wants but without a credit report number, (which he can't get since he can't access the report) he won't get a representative!!

Any advice on where to go from here? Could he put a fraud alert on his other reports that may trigger some action from Experian and allow him to talk to somebody or will they tighten down even more and he never reach anyone?

I would reccomend getting the EX CMS (freecreditreport.com) trial and click on the dispute items button on top right of report. from there you'll verify address and then you'll move to a EX site with a CR and credit report # at the top. that's the number you need.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Nah, there's nothing to worry about here.

I get asked usually 1-2 questions about a mortgage I've never ever had and just answer "not applicable" or "none of the above" and it's fine.  They will ask about purposely misleading and false information on the questionairre to get acces to your report.  I don't know if this really makes things more secure, but all three of the major CRA's do that to some extent.

        
Message 3 of 6
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

I get asked usually 1-2 questions about a mortgage I've never ever had and just answer "not applicable" or "none of the above" and it's fine.  They will ask about purposely misleading and false information on the questionairre to get acces to your report.  I don't know if this really makes things more secure, but all three of the major CRA's do that to some extent.

+1

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 6
chan85
Established Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

There was no choice for not applicable/none of the above..... just checked with him again on it.....

Current Debt Management:
$15k Trinity Financial Management (scheduled pay off late 2021)
$10k NFCU
$350/mth Bridgecrest Auto Loan
Goals: Pay off credit card debt & buy a new home before end of 2020

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 5 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@chan85 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

There was no choice for not applicable/none of the above..... just checked with him again on it.....

It was always the last one on the list for me on virtually every question regarding mortgages and other things (e.g. addresses have lived at), as seen within the last couple of weeks on Equifax and Experian both (haven't bothered with TU yet).  Not certain what else to say other than I seriously doubt it's a case of fraud from what was posted, but maybe something else is indeed going on.

        
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.