Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian Disputes - FICO Score Freeze

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian Disputes - FICO Score Freeze

I have submitted two online disputes with Experian in the last 8 weeks due to incorrect data being reported. Since submitting first dispute my FICO has not changed as if it's frozen although I've paid off all my credit cards and seen huge score increases on the two other CRA's. Is it possible they have frozen my credit report while disputes are investigated?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Experian Disputes - FICO Score Freeze

TiffyTBE wrote:
I have submitted two online disputes with Experian in the last 8 weeks due to incorrect data being reported. Since submitting first dispute my FICO has not changed as if it's frozen although I've paid off all my credit cards and seen huge score increases on the two other CRA's. Is it possible they have frozen my credit report while disputes are investigated?

I've never heard of them freezing your score during disputes. Is everything updated on EX?
Message 2 of 11
atlastontheroad
Established Contributor

If TU does, maybe EX does?  This is a question for the theolog...er.....mods....

atlast
Ficos 2/17/08: TU 551 EQ 534 EX 587
Ficos 2/12/09 TU 695 EQ 715 EX 715
Fico...4/15/10....drumroll.....EQ 743
Message 3 of 11
eddymvp
Frequent Contributor

TiffyTBE wrote:

Now that you brought it up the same thing is happening on my EX report. I sent a few dispute online and my score hasn't changed in the last two months. TU and EQ has updated my score but not EX.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

If this is true, it is news to me, although a couple of points are worth mentioning.

Even if a CRA can freeze your report until a pending dispute is settled, they are not able to freeze your FICO score.  A FICO score is generated on the fly when a report is pulled and that report is run through the FICO scoring algorithm.  FICO scores cannot be frozen, because they are not generated until they are requested, and the only data used to generate that score is the data on the report at the time it is pulled.

So, assuming for a moment that a CRA refuses to update the report with new information while a dispute is pending, they still cannot stop the passage of time, which does affect one's FICO as accounts and baddies age.  A single report containing the exact same data, pulled twice, thirty days between pulls, will likely generate two different FICO scores.

Also, it seems to me that if freezing a report also includes refusing to allow baddies to drop as they age off, this could very easily lead to FCRA violations regarding the reporting of obsolete information.

One tidbit that is somewhat related to the question at hand:  When an item on a report is disputed by the consumer, the CRA is obligated to mark that item as disputed until the dispute is resolved.  For FICO scoring purposes, disputed accounts are ignored while they are in dispute, with the exception of collections and public records.

I'll see what I can find out about CRAs freezing reports and post back here.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Items under dispute may ignore updates during that time. Everything I have while under dispute is you can say frozen. But only disputed items are affected. So if you paid a bal off to $0 and this was reported while this item was under dispute it might not show up on your credit report. For this reason I try to never dispute anymore. Actually I have one account that has been repeatedly disputed because it has not updated in many months due to the dispute freeze while disputed. So now I am going to wait until the account is closed to dispute all the months history that was ignored because of the freeze. It's not actually a freeze but sure you can call it that.

If anything else on your CR has changed it would effect your score while this account might not update while in dispute. I try to plan out my disputes to open the day after my accounts update to prevent the dispute lasting long enough to reject the next update by the lender.

I think this answered your question.
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the feedback. I updated my scores last night on TrueCredit. Both TU and EQ increased again, EX still no change. With that score not updating the past two months, the difference between it and the others is now 100 points, so something definitely going on there.
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

TiffyTBE wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback. I updated my scores last night on TrueCredit. Both TU and EQ increased again, EX still no change. With that score not updating the past two months, the difference between it and the others is now 100 points, so something definitely going on there.

OK, well that could explain something.  TrueCredit scores are not FICO scores.  It could very well be that TC is freezing your "credit score" due to disputes, but you really shouldn't be looking at that score anyway, since it's completely irrelevant in the real world (i.e., it's not used by lenders).

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Totally. TC uses a completely different scoring model.. Totally FAKO. Your FICO could be changing.
Message 9 of 11
dwh164
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:
One tidbit that is somewhat related to the question at hand:  When an item on a report is disputed by the consumer, the CRA is obligated to mark that item as disputed until the dispute is resolved.  For FICO scoring purposes, disputed accounts are ignored while they are in dispute, with the exception of collections and public records.

Hey Cheddar- so I recently had a 19 point increase on EX which at first I thought was in part paying a large sum of $ on a CC (2200 on a 4800 bal with 6600 CL- plan to have it paid down to %5 util by May). Then I got bummed 'cause I remembered that I'm currently disputing an old CA on EX and figured that my score increase may be more affected by this dispute than the payment.

But it sounds like this isn't the case after all- since the acct I'm disputing is a CA, that means it's still factored into FICO, right?? So the whole point increase was due to the payoff?? That would *rock*!!!

(edited for readability)

Message Edited by dwh164 on 04-17-2008 02:11 AM
12/26/07: TU: 602 EQ: 618 EX: 582
7/02/08: TU: 651 EQ: 660 EX: 656
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.