cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian Fico score...where do I get the real one?

tag
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Experian Fico score...where do I get the real one?

@JudiB wrote:

Does anyone else feel any outrage about this???  If the credit bureaus and lenders are the only ones who know your "real" credit score, how on earth are you to protect yourself against unscrupulous lenders (and after the past couple of years, there surely cannot be any doubt there are a LOT of them out there!) who will take advantage of that knowledge...and as consumers we're getting less and less ammunition with which to fight back. Even worse, most folks have no CLUE they're NOT getting their FICO when they're pulling their SCORE.

Heaven help us if TU and EQ pull out of MyFICO too!

Outrage? No, but I'm not happy about it. When they made that change, nearly 2 years ago now (seems like yesterday), I figured it was best to remove any emotion from the equation and look at it from a purely business standpoint on their end. Why eliminate the biz relationship with myFICO? Experian pumped $$$ into their own scores. Right about the time they made that change, they ramped up their annoying commercials for freecreditreport.com, consumer info, triple advantage and so on. They put boohoo bucks into their CMS and the PLUS score too. They also heavily invested into Vantage. Their goal is to overtake FICO and make their scores the choice for lenders everywhere. Whenever someone pulled an EX report here, then that would take away from their business. So, why not eliminate the competition by denying the opportunity to pull a FICO? So, they put a stop to that in hopes we'd flock over to their side and they'd control the chain of distribution, vs. report data only. So, I'm not outraged, but I certianly hope that EQ and TU won't follow suit. EQ seems to be moving in that direction though with their new FAKO.

Message 31 of 49
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

If the assumption is that lenders prefer consumers not having access to scores for their credit reports, is Experian then not shooting themselves in the foot by no longer selling those scores to those consumers?

Message 32 of 49
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

If the assumption is that lenders prefer consumers not having access to scores for their credit reports, is Experian then not shooting themselves in the foot by no longer selling those scores to those consumers?

I got lost there, but IMO, basically, Experian is laughing all the way to the bank with the deposit receipts from the sales of their FAKO scores.

The bureaus make most of their $$$ buy selling scores to the lenders --Chase and the gang. I think we're pretty small beer.

Which reminds me, it's important to always remember that we are not the CRA's customers. The banks are.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 33 of 49
JudiB

haulingthescoreup wrote:  Experian is laughing all the way to the bank with the deposit receipts from the sales of their FAKO scores.

The bureaus make most of their $$$ buy selling scores to the lenders --Chase and the gang. I think we're pretty small beer.

Which reminds me, it's important to always remember that we are not the CRA's customers. The banks are.

But that's precisely my point!   Where's the CONSUMER PROTECTION part of this equation?  Not necessarily that the BUREAUS need to be protecting the consumer, but that SOMEONE should.  I'm a Realtor...if a consumer is getting a home loan and has scores and financial profile that would legitimately qualify them for a given rate, but BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO WAY OF KNOWING WHAT THEIR REAL SCORES ARE they are charged .5% (or more!) higher, it'll cost them thou$ands more over the life of the loan.  And MOST consumers are not likely to have every lender or every car dealer pull their credit when they are shopping because they know that multiple inquiries can lower their score (those I've spoken with don't want to risk "trusing" that those will be clustered in scoring as part of a shopping process for a single item).

Consumers have a right to know what their FICO scores are....and someone should be insuring that they have the ability to exercise that right.  "Credit Score" and "FICO" are synonymous to most consumers, and at this point I suspect the majority of folks pulling their credit on the 3 bureaus HAVE NO CLUE they are not getting their FICO.  I only knew it when I pulled them this weekend at TU and saw they were considerably higher than I expected...and figured SOMETHINGS WRONG HERE! 

I know CRAs pulled out of using FICO on their own sites (and affiliate/sister sites) because they did not want to pay Fair Isaac royalties every time a consumer pulled their own score.  But, particularly on the TU, EX, and EQ sites themselves, as long as consumers have been able to pull their own credit scores at all, they were always getting their FICO credit scores.  They are no doubt on an aggressive campaign to seduce lenders away from FICO to make their own system the "scoring of choice".    I guess I'm just surprised that more isn't being done, wile I'm sure Fair Isaac is fighting them, to make sure that the public knows they're not getting their "real" scores.

Message 34 of 49
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Well, I agree that any score type that's used by lenders should be regulated, so users can purchase such scores at any time.

The other part of the equation is knowing what your score is up against. How do you know the cutoff for a mortgage loan or a credit card with a given lender?

Then again, the score is often not the only thing that matters.

Message 35 of 49
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

JudiB wrote:

haulingthescoreup wrote:  Experian is laughing all the way to the bank with the deposit receipts from the sales of their FAKO scores.

But that's precisely my point!   Where's the CONSUMER PROTECTION part of this equation?  Not necessarily that the BUREAUS need to be protecting the consumer, but that SOMEONE should.  I'm a Realtor...if a consumer is getting a home loan and has scores and financial profile that would legitimately qualify them for a given rate, but BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO WAY OF KNOWING WHAT THEIR REAL SCORES ARE they are charged .5% (or more!) higher, it'll cost them thou$ands more over the life of the loan.  And MOST consumers are not likely to have every lender or every car dealer pull their credit when they are shopping because they know that multiple inquiries can lower their score (those I've spoken with don't want to risk "trusing" that those will be clustered in scoring as part of a shopping process for a single item).

Consumers have a right to know what their FICO scores are....and someone should be insuring that they have the ability to exercise that right.  "Credit Score" and "FICO" are synonymous to most consumers, and at this point I suspect the majority of folks pulling their credit on the 3 bureaus HAVE NO CLUE they are not getting their FICO.  I only knew it when I pulled them this weekend at TU and saw they were considerably higher than I expected...and figured SOMETHINGS WRONG HERE! 

I know CRAs pulled out of using FICO on their own sites (and affiliate/sister sites) because they did not want to pay Fair Isaac royalties every time a consumer pulled their own score.  But, particularly on the TU, EX, and EQ sites themselves, as long as consumers have been able to pull their own credit scores at all, they were always getting their FICO credit scores.  They are no doubt on an aggressive campaign to seduce lenders away from FICO to make their own system the "scoring of choice".    I guess I'm just surprised that more isn't being done, wile I'm sure Fair Isaac is fighting them, to make sure that the public knows they're not getting their "real" scores.

As for the highlighted section above, mortgages are the one area where consumers do know our scores. As you know, with a mortgage app the lender is required to provide all three scores and reports, including the name of the score version used. And if the consumer has to app multiple times, s/he will be provided the scores each time. And this is because it is required by law.

At first, many of us thought that the new Dodd-Frank law (effective in January) would require that consumers be provided their score and negative factors if they didn't qualify for the best deal on any credit application, so CC's and auto loans, etc. But either we were all victims of a mass delusion, or this was quietly watered down. Now it looks like they don't have to provide the score, just "information."

The CRA's have to pay FICO whenever a FICO score is sold, whether from their own site or from myFICO. So they weren't saving royalties by reducing consumer access to FICO scores. Again, my belief is that they want to promote their own various versions of FAKO's, and as you say, consumers have no clue that they're pulling a mostly useless score.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 36 of 49
JudiB

I just checked with one of my lenders who tells me that all the mortgage lenders are still using FICO.  My guess is that the CRAs are making a concerted effort to seduce the marketplace (lenders) away from FICO altogether so they could have more control over revenue and expenses of scoring.  While there is a difference, I think there needs to be a concerted effort to let consumers know that getting their "scores" pretty much ANYWHERE does not equal getting their FICO.

Thanks for the input.  Just trying to understand here!

Message 37 of 49
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

As you know, with a mortgage app the lender is required to provide all three scores and reports, including the name of the score version used.

Yes, but do you also know at exactly which point that is during the application process? Smiley Tongue

Message 38 of 49
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

As you know, with a mortgage app the lender is required to provide all three scores and reports, including the name of the score version used.

Yes, but do you also know at exactly which point that is during the application process? Smiley Tongue

Well, with us, it was when the mortgage broker handed the reports over and said, "Here are your scores, so here are your rates."

But that was 13 years ago. Are things that different now?

I do realize that there are many people who think that they can buy a home based on the FAKO scores that they've seen, only to find out that they were wrong. If their FICO's are bad enough, I would think that they'd back out then and go work on their credit. And find the forums, I hope. Smiley Wink Or decide to pay far too much in mortgage interest. But they do have the power to stop at that point, yes? Isn't that what pre-qualifying is all about?

I'm obviously missing something here...

Message 39 of 49
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Well, with us, it was when the mortgage broker handed the reports over and said, "Here are your scores, so here are your rates."

Exactly. So late that it's like playing blackjack. If the consumer can purchase the scores at any time, aren't the lender scores merely verification?

Message 40 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.