cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian issue. Is this reported correctly?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian issue. Is this reported correctly?

I have a student loan that was with Sallie Mae and has recently been transferred back to the US Department of Education. Experian shows that both Sallie Mae and the US Department of Education are reporting me as current which I guess in a way is a good thing. The more positive credit references the better right?

Here's the thing though, the balance owed is counted twice so it looks as if I owe $4,000 MORE than I actually do. Shouldn't the balance owed be only counted ONCE.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Experian issue. Is this reported correctly?

Does Sallie Mae show transferred?

Once they transfer it to DOE, I would think they need to report $0.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Currently both Sallie Mae and DOE are reporting the same exact thing, the balance, payment history, last payment amount every thing. It's odd.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

When last time SM updated?

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

The 3rd of this month. Same time as DOE. Like I said odd. I am convinced Experian is messing with me.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd suggest going online to Experian and filing a dispute for the Sallie item.  I believe they have a category that fits (transferred to another lender).

I have had pretty good luck this way.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.