Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian only reporting year of birth

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian only reporting year of birth

To make this short, I started building my own personal credit back in November. Started with a secured card, got a couple more. Checked my reports for accuracy. I forget which bureau it was, but I think it was Experian then too, that reported my birth year off by one year. I submitted a dispute and it looked correct. The year anyway.

Fast forward to now when I could get my official FICO reports, and noticed TU and EQ report my name a little differently (middle name vs. initial, no big deal?), and year and date of birth. Experian only has the year. And no middle name or initial for me.

While I have an Experian score, I'm wondering if this could be damaging me a little. TU and EQ both report my past closed/terminated account that I was an authorized user on, but not EX. Chase also only pulled EX back in Dec when I tried and declined me; I wonder if this was part of the reason. Cap One also only pulled TU and EQ, though they are infamous for triple pulls. Probably couldn't find me!

Should I submit a dispute for my date of birth? Technically, the year is correct...but for someone trying to narrow it down between a few other people, a day of birth would probably be helpful.

I've opened the dispute, just wondering if I should click submit.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Experian only reporting year of birth

@Anonymous wrote:

While I have an Experian score, I'm wondering if this could be damaging me a little.

Doubtful IMO but you can verify by ensuring that the data for the accounts on your reports is accurate.  Keep in mind that the information (including name and DOB) comes from the creditors so you may need to verify that your info with your creditors is correct and is being reported correctly otherwise you're just addressing a symptom instead of the issue by disputing with the CRA.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.