cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian "protect my id" info different than Experian credit report - a marketing scam?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian "protect my id" info different than Experian credit report - a marketing scam?

I have Experian credit monitoring service free since the Target breach (I was not adversely affected).  Today I got an alert stating that my identity could be at risk and that I had unviewed alerts.  It also reminded me that my protection was about to expire in 1 day.  When I viewed the alert, it stated that  "Potentially negative information has been posted to your Credit Report"  Details revealed that Chase had supposedly reported one of my cards as "over the limit" on 1/13.  

I logged in to view my Experian report and there is no negative information indicated on any of my Chase cards.   I then checked all my accounts on the Chase website and none are over or even close to the limit as I don't carry a balance and have more than sufficient credit lines to cover any expenses I might have.

Should I be concerned or was this alert just a marketing scam to get me to log in to the credit monitoring service on the last day to renew?  I was actually planning on renewing but now I am annoyed if this was just a marketing move and will likely use a different service.  

TIA

Peg

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Experian "protect my id" info different than Experian credit report - a marketing scam

Welcome to the forums!

Over the limit isn't really a negative in the FICO algorithm: only way to see is to look at the High Balance on the report and see if it's larger than your credit limit. 

I honestly don't know enough about the Experian-offered monitoring / scoring solutions at the moment to tell you what they were getting at... it's something that gets watched for both for exagerrated spending and possibly fraud, but FICO /shrug.  End of the day if it's paid back without deliquency nobody really cares, and as a result I wouldn't if I were you either Smiley Happy.

        
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Experian "protect my id" info different than Experian credit report - a marketing scam

Welcome to myfico. It's more than likely having to do with the one more day thing. I also have protect my id, because of the target breach. I've never heard from them once. Although, I receive alerts, all the time, on my other credit monitoring sites. Since you've looked into it, and found nothing. I wouldn't worry about it. Good luck to you!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.