cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian scores = "FAKOs?" Why can't you access them on myfico.com?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian scores = "FAKOs?" Why can't you access them on myfico.com?

I just tried to retrieve my free credit reports through annualcreditreport.com. I didn't print them out, but saved this PIN number thinking I could access them again. Anyhow, I could not figure out how to access them and since I really just needed to see Experian, I bought it by clicking on a link on the annualcreditreport.com page.

I got my report and a score = 701. Is this a FAKO? It says Experian and everything. Looks real. Why can't you get that score through myfico.com?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: Experian scores = "FAKOs?" Why can't you access them on myfico.com?

FAKO.  experian stopped letting myfico sell its scores.  now it sells its own scoring model so it can make money off of that.  it's not myfico's fault.

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes but I got it off Experian's site. Still fake?

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got a full credit report from Experian. Fake, too?

Message 4 of 16
GregB
Valued Contributor

I think you will find that you purchased an EX Plus Score. You can confirm that if you see that the score range is 330-830. Experian's own information will tell you that the Plus Score is not used by ANY lender. EX also offers Vantage Score, which is supposedly used by some lenders. It would seem to be used by very few.

ETA: The information on the EX report is accurate - it is just the score that is a joke.

EX did not renew their agreement with myFICO several years ago. Here is an example of what we used to be able to get.Capture.PNG

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hm, okay. I don't see the word "plus" anywhere. I'm just stumped because I went to the government-mandated site where you access your free credit report, and the link provided there took me to the Experian site. I was more concerned about the information on the report rather than the number (long story short: it appears a collection is reporting only to TU, if this EX report is legit, and from what you say, it is.)

The info I have in front of me says "Your Experian (copyright symbol) score is: 710.

Oh well, the report is what I wanted. Thanks.

Message 6 of 16
laz98
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The info I have in front of me says "Your Experian (copyright symbol) score is: 710.

this is a good way to see if you are getting a FICO or not!  make sure it says FICO.  otherwise, chances are pretty good that it's not.  at least now you know what to look for.

but the report is definitely legit!  Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 16
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Ditto to everyone else. That score is a FAKO. It is their own score that they created, though lenders won't touch it. Experian never ever sold a FICO score anywhere off their website. I think the FAKO could be a VantageScore. If not that, then a PLUS score as suggested. They offer one of the two based on how you pull your CR.

The reports and the content therein are fine though.

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

It annoys me how misleading the score business is. It seems grossly unfair to consumers.

Message 9 of 16
GregB
Valued Contributor

It is our responsibility as consumers to investigate a product before purchase.

I've worked as a business consultant in many different industries. I would say the misleading marketing about credit scores is less than most. Also, good information is readily available. Look how easy it was for you to get some good information and how little money you wasted.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.