Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extended fraud alert help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Extended fraud alert help

Hi all! About 2 weeks ago I app'd for CapOne QS1 as part of my mini app spree. Got 7-10 day message, figured it was for verification, so called the next morning. It was indeed. The rep told me I have an 'extended' fraud alert on my report, and that there was not a phone number attached to it, so I need to contact the credit bureau and update that. Side note, this checks out, someone tried getting a mortgage in my name in another state about 4 years ago and nearly succeeded. Anyway, she would/could not tell me which CB, so I figured I'd do them all. EQ was a piece of cake, I called and got someone on the phone easily. Had to obtain a file number for TU, but was able to do that one.

Please HELP with EXPERIAN! I cannot get someone on the phone to save my life, and can't find clear info about how to do this online. In fact, on Experian's site, it states in plain language if you need to update info on a fraud alert, to call them. Lol.

Anyone have experience with this? The CapOne rep told me it's the only thing blocking me, and will likely block other major bank cards until I fix it.
5 REPLIES 5
elim
Senior Contributor

Re: Extended fraud alert help

"In order to remove a fraud alert you must submit your request in writing along with copies of documentation verifying your identity.

You can find a form that includes the information you need to submit and the address to which you should send it in Experian’s Fraud Center.

We require your request in writing for your protection. We document your identity to ensure an identity thief is not trying to remove the alert to so that they can fraudulently apply for new credit."

Message 2 of 6
elim
Senior Contributor
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you elim. I found this, but I don't necessarily want to remove it; just update the info. That's where it gets a little gray!
Message 4 of 6
elim
Senior Contributor

Can you remove it and freeze your reports?

I keep mine frozen at all times and unlock them for any pre-defined amount of time to submit an app or make changes.

More user friendly

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's a great idea, thank you!
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.