cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely annoying credit collection situation...(Is there some agency I can report this to?)

tag
soliloquy
Regular Contributor

Extremely annoying credit collection situation...(Is there some agency I can report this to?)

In 2007, my son had a titer test done at a pathologists office. The provider billed approximately $200.00. My insurance paid approximately $50.00 that same month and the medical provider wrote the rest off. Fast forward to this year, in May, my insurance recouped the payment from the provider. The provider refunded the $50.00 and billed me for the $200.00 (100% of the invoice) saying that my son was not eligible for the services he received.

I received the invoice from the medical provider on July 20, 2011. I promptly responded (the very next day) and negotiated with them that I would pay $50.00 (which is what they had received in the first place) and they would write the rest off.

After I thought that was settled, I get a collection letter dated July 25, 2011 for that exact same debt from an attorney-owned collections firm. In their collections letter, they demanded payment be made to THEM and their notice said I would not be receiving a statement from the medical provider and that the account was "seriosly delinquent" (meanwhile I just received the first invoice in July 20, 2011). They also threatened to report it to the credit bureaus.

In an abundance of caution, I had an attorney write a letter to the medical provider including the collection agency's information. The letter basically said, call your collection angecy and tell them this debt was settled. (I didn't want to take the chance of any negatives on my credit report). The medical provider responded saying it would be taken care of immediately. Well guess what? I get home and yesterday, August 3, 2011, there is another collection letter for the same debt from the same debt collection (the attorney firm) with a DIFFERENT account number that shows up on the invoice. It's the same everything except now there appear to be two accounts for one debt (none of which should have been sent to collections).

What do you suggest I do about this?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: Extremely annoying credit collection situation...(Is there some agency I can report this to?)

Repeat your previous step - attny write letter to medical provider, include new information (account number), and include something to the effect that ALL collections efforts by their collection agency needs to stop.

If a debt is owed, the medical center needs to contact you directly.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.