Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exxon Gas card obtainable with low 600's

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exxon Gas card obtainable with low 600's

I just applied and received an ExxonMoble Personal Gas card (not the mastercard)

Just posting this so others might want to try for it--those like me with less then Good credit.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: Exxon Gas card obtainable with low 600's

Congrats.

And thanks for the heads up.  Do you know which CRs they pulled for you?
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

they pulled my LOWEST 2:

TU=611 and EQ: 638

Not bad--I suppose now this card falls into the "other" catagory" as it is a Retail card, not a Bank card, correct? But that's good because I have no retail cards at this point so I'm expanding my "types of credit"
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

oh and I might at I have had late payments within the last year--nothing deliquent, but I do have late payments and a past charge off, so my past record is not by any means good
Message 4 of 10
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Not bad.  You might take a short term hit and then the scores should slowly improve.  You are playing the game  Smiley Very Happy
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks..yeah trying to play his game.

Wondering, how much of a "hit" does your score taken when you obtain new credit? And what is the hit based on? The inquirey plus opening a new TL? How many points is a score likely to drop--I just got accepted for 2 cards this week--AMEX Delta and this Exxon Gas card.

How much is my score likely to drop?
Message 6 of 10
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Personally I think it is a "singular version of a dice game" shoot.

It lowers your utilization, if that is high, and that is good.

A couple of inqs from the same CRA bad.

New credit - bad.

Mine went up 10, but then I have very few open cards (one store, one gas only, one gas MC, one airlines Visa and one CU visa total)

And only a large and a small mortgage.  No auto or other installment

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

that sounds like a good balance of cards--I am looking to model my credit behaviour similar to yours with respect to 5-6 or less cards all with less then 10% utilization varied over a range of credit types
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

WoW....just went to the Exxon site and applied...instant approval....have had 2 approvals in the past 2 weeks. I'm starting to feel half human again....anyone think I should try Am Express???
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's easy to get "heady" with feeling "human" again after being turned down for a request to borrow a comb for several years. Don't push too hard, too fast. The new accounts and the new inquiries are going to drop your scores for a few months. How far and for how long is a guess. But usually it takes about 5 or 6 months of payments to get the credit scores back up to where they were or above. Then they climb as you make the payments ontime and use the cards/pay them down/use them again. The few months is a danger zone however. Don't apply for more cards during this time. You'll probably get rejected. Just take it easy. I got a WAMU pre-approved card and got the card with a $5k CL. Then I noticed my FICO was 727 on one CB. So I went out and bought a new car I desperately needed. Got it, too. That car shopping cost me two inquires on EACH of three CB's. Total of 6 new inquiries and one new auto lease on a new Range Rover. The net effect is that my FICO's dropped from the low 720's down to the high 600's again. Human, but just barely. I've (just yesterday) paid the lease on the Rover ahead for six months and wonder if that will have any effect on the FICO's or if I just have to wait for a while? I too am getting ready to buy a house and will have VERY little down payment. But I'm tired of paying out $5k/mo in rent (I live in NYC and it's expensive as hell to live decently here!) My income is slightly over $200k per year and the tax burden is over 50% without any legal deductions in sight. I'm single and have one grown child who's making her own money and cannot be claimed as a dependent. So without a house I cannot shelter any of my income from the damned tax collectors at the IRS. Of course the NYC state and city taxes hurt like hell, too. Oh well. That's why they call it the "BIG APPLE" ... living here takes a major bite out of your arse! Wait on the cards. Sorry for the ramble. Hope it may be helpful. Getting my credit back after a BK three years ago is NOT easy. It may never be back to my previous 800 plus levels, but then again so what? I can do very well with FICO's of 700 or 720. The climb isn't an easy one. Going broke was my only option. Car accident, broken back, other guy at fault and I had to sue. No disability insurance to cover ME. So I filed the BK. Now the lawsuit has settled and I have some serious money in the bank and a structured settlement income on top of my aforementioned salary. But when I traveled to Paris a couple of months ago, I had to take the laptop and move money from my bank to my one $5k credit limit card several times a month. I kept hitting the limits with the costs of the travel. I paid that one card over $30k in five weeks. I would be nice to have a better card and one that would allow me to charge more than five grand. But it will happen in time. Good luck. MI
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.