Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FAKO reporting huge drop in score

tag
RaeC
Established Member

FAKO reporting huge drop in score

FAKO (CreditKarma) reports a 79 pt decrease! Say whaaaat? No collections, 2 student loans in good standing (though it did go up $23 for interest), and only a handful of cards; it is reporting my new cards but I only have a 17% util between them. I've worked diligently for the ast month to get my scores up, app'd for a couple cards, approved, broke 700s and then plummeted.

How accurate is FAKO when reporting losses such as this? When will the new cards begin to help me? They're my first cards. Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
silkysean
Regular Contributor

Re: FAKO reporting huge drop in score

@RaeC wrote:

FAKO (CreditKarma) reports a 79 pt decrease! Say whaaaat? No collections, 2 student loans in good standing (though it did go up $23 for interest), and only a handful of cards; it is reporting my new cards but I only have a 17% util between them. I've worked diligently for the ast month to get my scores up, app'd for a couple cards, approved, broke 700s and then plummeted.

How accurate is FAKO when reporting losses such as this? When will the new cards begin to help me? They're my first cards. Smiley Sad

Not very accurate.Credit karma uses vantage score 3 a recent model to give fico a challenge made by the 3 credit bureaus.Its a great tool for updates and monitoring your credit.Many say not a big deal but vantage score 3 will gain ground sooner or later but for now I don't count on credit karma for scores just monitoring my file quickly.Plus after much research it seems the new vantage 3 doesn't like new credit so recent injuries and accounts is what factors drop.If you ghave. 700 fake score chances are your fico scores are higher.At any rate I hope you pull or k ow your true fico score 8 score because that's what about 90% of lenders use.Even if they use internal systems it still will use data from true fico scores.

Message 2 of 7
RaeC
Established Member

My Fico (TU score, as it was the one reporting the significant drop) from myfico was 700, it dropped to 699, and now 690. FAKO is reporting it was 706 and that it dropped to 627. 

When will my ccs that were opened in February begin really working for me with slow increase in my score? They did boost it dramatically already. I'm just ready to garden. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@RaeC wrote:

How accurate is FAKO when reporting losses such as this? When will the new cards begin to help me? They're my first cards.

Any score is accurate but only for its own model.  You can't determine a score's accuracy by comparing it to another model.  Different models evaluate report data differently and can even have different scoring ranges.  Do not assume that all scoring models should be equivalent.  VantageScore 3.0 is not designed to just mimic one of the FICO models.  If, for example, you want to know what your TU FICO 8 is then you need to pull your TU FICO 8.  You cannot use a TU VantageScore 3.0 to determine what your TU FICO 8 is.  If you want to know a score with a given model/CRA then you need to pull that specific score.

It sounds like you have a thin profile so you can see significant impact from various changes.  With new accounts reporting you've dropped your AAoA.  You've incurred hard pulls.  Generally inquiries have a small impact but with your thin profile you can certainly see a bigger impact from them.  You also have new credit accounts which are seen as a potential risk and more so for your credit profile.  You'll see more benefit as your accounts age, your credit profile thickens, etc.  When your new accounts are no longer considered new you'll also see some benefit.  We can't tell you that in X time you'll see Y points.  We can only provide general information.  Definitely read up.  If you haven't read this then start here and click through the links.

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

Keep in mind though that it only covers FICO scoring.  That's just one consideration.  A creditor/product's underwriting requirements are an entirely spearate matter.

@RaeC wrote:

A score is based on the data in the report.  You're overlooking some negative factor that outweighed your positives.  That said, unless you have or intend to apply with a creditor that uses a TU or EQ VantageScore 3.0 then it may not matter what happened with those scores.  If you're concerned about other scores used by creditors then you'd need to take a look at where those scores stand and not just assume that they're reacting the same way to changes in your reports.

Always consider the specific scoring model & CRA when referring to a score.  Also consider the relevance of a given model/CRA combo to a given creditor/product.  Creditors/products do not all use the same model and CRA and only the model & CRA that the creditor/product uses is relevant to their decision.  Most creditors/products use a FICO model and FICO 8 is the most commonly used model but that won't matter if a model other than FICO 8 is used in the decision.

Your scores will go up and down.  You can't just expect constant increases.  You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs and you can't build your credit without opening accounts and seeing an impact to your scores.  Even when your profile thickens and ages revolving utilization on its own can cause your scores to go up and down with normal usage.  On the other hand, you don't want to just app away and tank your scores and profile.  You need to add new accounts as your profile can handle them.  in its current shape your profile will only support a little activity of that type.

@silkysean wrote:

At any rate I hope you pull or k ow your true fico score 8 score because that's what about 90% of lenders use.Even if they use internal systems it still will use data from true fico scores.

Scores are generated based on report data.  Internal scores are not based on FICO 8.  Be careful assuming that.

Again, don't rely on a score generated by one model to determine a score generated by another model.  You cannot assume fixed offsets or the same trending with different models.  Don't just rely on FICO 8 either.  A FICO 8 will not be relevant if a creditor does not use FICO 8.  Learn to assess your reports and focus on your report data versus just obsessing over the numbers.

Message 4 of 7
RaeC
Established Member

I understand, I only use FAKO as an indicator. I also understand that I would suffer some hits as I build up my file but I was surprised to see the significant drop. My oldest account was my student loan at 2 years and 2 months.

So my thin file will hurt. I am hoping to see an improvement in the next 6 months. Like I said, buying a house is my game plan for summer 2017. Should I get my cred it apps out of the way now, then, to let them age up until that point.

I was told only 3 but it seems most have more. I'm not looking for immediate gratification, just don't want to hurt myself in the long run.
Message 5 of 7
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@RaeC wrote:

Sure, opening new accounts and having them 1st report balances can result in a smack down. No worries, it's quite temporary and score will recover naturally - probably within 90 days.  Note: given your young/thin file, reporting non zero balances on more than one card generally causes an additional score drop.

How many cards should you have? Three cards is sufficient but 5 gives you some added flexibility. If you just got a couple, wait 6 months before considering another one (assuming there is a need). I have 6 cards but, quite a few posters have reported 850 scores with 4 cards. - If your "handful of cards" is 4 or more, stay with what you have to avoid additional hard inquiries. Instead, consider going after some credit limit increases once your new cards reach 6 months.

Side note: Hard inquiries factor into Fico scoring models for 12 months. They factor into the VantageScore models for 24 months.

CKs VantageScore 3.0, it does score factors differently than Fico 08 (and Fico 04/Fico 98 mortgage). Even so, your recent activities represent a substantial disturbance and the Fico models would also drop your score. Magnitude may be less with Fico but is model dependent. I'd expect Fico 04 scores to suffer more than Fico 08 because Fico 04 exhibits greater sensitivity to # - % open CC accounts reporting a non zero balance.

For best results keep aggregate CC utilization under 9%. It's ok to allow balances to report on more than one card periodically but, when you are within 3 months of applying for a mortgage, only allow one card to report a non zero balance each month if possible.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 6 of 7
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Ignore CK scores.

I was always told that for 3 years now but they have been fairly and reasonably close to my actual FICO 8 numbers until they changed over to silly vantage.

After that change both my FAKE numbers went down 80 points.

Credit Karma is such a lame lying outfit when bragging about a free credit score and they know it.

If they had to PURCHASE real FICO scores for all their membership they would be out of business and off the air in a week.

They should tell the truth where there is truth in that they do offer FREE CREDIT REPORTS from TU + EQ.

But their FAKO scores? Far worse now then it's ever been.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.