Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Reply
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,325
Registered: ‎09-22-2009
0

FCRA question

Is there anything in the FCRA that requires creditors to report to the CRA's?   

 

I have one 30 day late from 2007 on an old closed BoA account that I've tried to have removed through a GW letter.  It's the only negative item on my CR's.  BoA refuses to remove it by claiming that they "are required by law to report accurate information".  

 

I was thinking that perhaps I could try again by writing that there is no provision (if true) in the FCRA that requires them to report a TL at all, and to reconsider my request. I read the FCRA,  and I can't find anything that forces them to report anything, only if they do report, it has to be accurate.  I'm hoping that they will delete the TL altogether - not modify it, correct it, or report it inaccurately.  I'm asking that they don't report it at all.   It drives me nuts seeing that one "red flag" from a single mistake I made five years ago.  

 

Hopefully those who have more FCRA knowledge can chime in.  Smiley Happy  It would be nice if I'm right and can at least try this approach, or at least make a compelling argument. 

 

 

EQ Fico 8 - 848
TU Fico 8 - 848
EX Fico 8 - 846
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 437
Registered: ‎05-21-2011
0

Re: FCRA question

[ Edited ]
When I was getting a collection removed, I got the same line. I quoted the FCRA. Not sure which part, but it basically states that information reported must be accurate, but that is not to say that they must report. Advise them that they are not required to report a late, but if they report a late, that must be accurate.

Starting Score: 596 EQ 5-22-11 / 554 TU 5-23-11
Current Score: 615 EQ 08-15-11 / 631 TU 09-27-11
Goal Score: 700+


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Senior Contributor
Posts: 3,626
Registered: ‎10-13-2009
0

Re: FCRA question


android01 wrote:

Is there anything in the FCRA that requires creditors to report to the CRA's?   

 

I have one 30 day late from 2007 on an old closed BoA account that I've tried to have removed through a GW letter.  It's the only negative item on my CR's.  BoA refuses to remove it by claiming that they "are required by law to report accurate information".  

 

I was thinking that perhaps I could try again by writing that there is no provision (if true) in the FCRA that requires them to report a TL at all, and to reconsider my request. I read the FCRA,  and I can't find anything that forces them to report anything, only if they do report, it has to be accurate.  I'm hoping that they will delete the TL altogether - not modify it, correct it, or report it inaccurately.  I'm asking that they don't report it at all.   It drives me nuts seeing that one "red flag" from a single mistake I made five years ago.  

 

Hopefully those who have more FCRA knowledge can chime in.  Smiley Happy  It would be nice if I'm right and can at least try this approach, or at least make a compelling argument. 

 

 


 

There is nothing that forces a creditor to report, but when they do choose to report they must report accurate data.

 

Bank of America is a tough nut to crack.  I do not know of anybody being successful in getting a GW adjustment out of them.

IAALBNYL
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,671
Registered: ‎05-24-2007
0

Re: FCRA question

I tried several times with BofA to remove my single negative on my reports, which was 6 years old. At the time they were reporting one 30-day late, which was paid 32 days late and in full - about $8,000. My idiot ex mailed two payment in a row to the wrong address and they were returned. By the time it was sent to the correct address it arrived two days after the next statement was generated. I was running $10K-15K a month through my 3 BofA accounts with combined CL of $117K. My EQ FICO at the time was 739 with the one late.

 

I have to believe at the time I would have been a very important customer to BofA. They simply would not budge. I eventually just waited out the 7 years.

 

"Hard nut to crack" has been my experience.

 

 

Senior Contributor
Posts: 3,626
Registered: ‎10-13-2009
0

Re: FCRA question


GregB wrote:

I tried several times with BofA to remove my single negative on my reports, which was 6 years old. At the time they were reporting one 30-day late, which was paid 32 days late and in full - about $8,000. My idiot ex mailed two payment in a row to the wrong address and they were returned. By the time it was sent to the correct address it arrived two days after the next statement was generated. I was running $10K-15K a month through my 3 BofA accounts with combined CL of $117K. My EQ FICO at the time was 739 with the one late.

 

I have to believe at the time I would have been a very important customer to BofA. They simply would not budge. I eventually just waited out the 7 years.

 

"Hard nut to crack" has been my experience.

 

 


 

Yikes!  Smiley Surprised

 

I heard Bank of America was tough, but I never thought they would be that tough.

IAALBNYL
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
Posts: 26,499
Registered: ‎03-19-2007
0

Re: FCRA question

[ Edited ]

+!

Credtitors will often make such assertions, but they are turning a negative into a positive.

 

By that, I mean that reporting to a CRA is governed by FCRA 623(a)(1), which states that a furnisher of information may not knowlingly report inaccurate information to a credit reporting agency. It does not place any requriement on a credtior or debt collector that they cannot delete information, even if it is accurate.

 

If a creditor chooses not to report to a CRA, then they could not, by simple logic, have ever reported inaccurately.  So, no, there is no requriement that they ever report.  They have to pay money to report to a CRA.  The FCRA does not compel that upon a creditor.

 

The sand in the ointment is the question of whether, after initially deciding to report information to a CRA, they have an obligation to thereafter report information that is necessary to update changes in the information in order to maintain its accuracy.  The answer to that is yes. 

 

However, the deletion of any prior reporting of a derogatory item of information does not render that reporting of a deletion inaccurate.  They have just chosen to delete it, for whatever reason.  Deletion does not equal an admission of inaccuracy of their prior reporting.

 

The real issue is solely an administrative, as opposed to a statutory FCRA, issue.  CRA reporting guidelines instruct furnishers of information not to delete prior, accurate reporting based solely upon payment of the debt.  That is not a statutory prohibition, and the CRAs dont ask for and dont require that the reporting of a deletion must provide reasons.  If the furnisher reports a deletion, the CRA must delete, unless they challenge the reporting on the basis that it is a violation of their internal credit reporting guidelines.   I have never heard of a CRA doing that. 

 

Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,671
Registered: ‎05-24-2007
0

Re: FCRA question

I am thinking that BofA would be far better off if they had removed the 30-day late for me. I am assuming that they just have a standard policy to never remove anything. The alternative is that I just ran into a string of CSRs that didn't want to help me.

 

Perhaps their size is working against them and they just have a policy of no deletes, ever.

 

Anyone ever get something removed with a GW?

Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,325
Registered: ‎09-22-2009
0

Re: FCRA question

[ Edited ]

GregB wrote:

I am thinking that BofA would be far better off if they had removed the 30-day late for me. I am assuming that they just have a standard policy to never remove anything. The alternative is that I just ran into a string of CSRs that didn't want to help me.

 

Perhaps their size is working against them and they just have a policy of no deletes, ever.

 

Anyone ever get something removed with a GW?


I've tried and tried to no avail.  I have a lot on money tied up with BoA in LOC's, trusts, IRA's.  I am also a member of their Private Clients Group, so I have two dedicated, relatively high powered CSR's that deal with me, and they've gone up the food chain on my behalf and can't get any help.  I think they do have a policy of "no deletes, ever."  I have contacted the executive offices through a letter to [Edited], their CEO.  A very nice assistant called me and told me that "]Edited] himself cannot grant your request."   Smiley Mad


Full names are not allowed to be posted as per the Forum's Terms of Service which prohibit the posting of:

 

Any personal information belonging either to the poster or another person, including, but not limited to, full name, address, phone number, email address, social media accounts (Facebook, Linkedin, etc.);

 

MarineVietvet, myFICO moderator

 

EQ Fico 8 - 848
TU Fico 8 - 848
EX Fico 8 - 846
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,168
Registered: ‎01-22-2008
0

Re: FCRA question

OP, try giving Planetfeeback.com a shot.  Some members have had great success with getting in touch with the right person that way. 


CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,325
Registered: ‎09-22-2009
0

Re: FCRA question


android01 wrote:

GregB wrote:

I am thinking that BofA would be far better off if they had removed the 30-day late for me. I am assuming that they just have a standard policy to never remove anything. The alternative is that I just ran into a string of CSRs that didn't want to help me.

 

Perhaps their size is working against them and they just have a policy of no deletes, ever.

 

Anyone ever get something removed with a GW?


I've tried and tried to no avail.  I have a lot on money tied up with BoA in LOC's, trusts, IRA's.  I am also a member of their Private Clients Group, so I have two dedicated, relatively high powered CSR's that deal with me, and they've gone up the food chain on my behalf and can't get any help.  I think they do have a policy of "no deletes, ever."  I have contacted the executive offices through a letter to [Edited], their CEO.  A very nice assistant called me and told me that "]Edited] himself cannot grant your request."   Smiley Mad


Full names are not allowed to be posted as per the Forum's Terms of Service which prohibit the posting of:

 

Any personal information belonging either to the poster or another person, including, but not limited to, full name, address, phone number, email address, social media accounts (Facebook, Linkedin, etc.);

 

MarineVietvet, myFICO moderator

 


Really? Even the CEO of a publicly traded company that you see in the newspaper practically every day?  No problem!  Lesson learned. Smiley Happy

EQ Fico 8 - 848
TU Fico 8 - 848
EX Fico 8 - 846

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.