Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEDERAL statute of limitations for cell phone collections is 2 years

tag
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: FEDERAL statute of limitations for cell phone collections is 2 years

@Debanr8491 wrote:

I live in  Georgia and recently received  a letter from Palisades (AT&T) for a cell phone bill from 2003.  I have tried to settle and pay this bill not only in 2003, but several times over the years.  The last attempt was in 2010?  The company the held the debt told me it was written off,  I have checked my credit report it was not reflected. It is now 10years later.  I do not want this to result in a judgement or afftect my credit.  Now they are offering a settlement of $621.  Please advise.

I don't know GA's SOL, but it's likely past SOL. In other words, you can't be held legally liable for it provided you haven't paid on it since, made a promise to pay, or other items which can reset SOL in some states (not all). They can still collect though but they cannot report on your credit reports because it is beyond the time for it to report. Provided you haven't paid on it recently, made a promise to pay, was incarcerated for a long time (which can stop the SOL clock in some states), moved out of state and then back in (again, applies to some states), or other similar items, then ignore Palisades. File the letter and ignore them.

Message 11 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.