Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO Algorithm weakness

tag
remboman
Established Member

FICO Algorithm weakness

Since I began monitoring my FICO score, it has ranged from 750 - 768. In December 07, my wife bought my son a pair of slippers for $12.46 at JCP as an "impulse" purchase. For some reason, she forgot about this purchase and assumed there was still a $0 balance on that account, which there had been for a long period of time. Needless to say, 30 days passed and I received MyFico alert that my score had dropped 79 points from 750 to 671, overnight, due to the 30 day late on the $12.46.

The reality is that I am no higher risk to default on a loan now than before the slipper purchase, however, the FICO score algorithm "calculates" that I have gone from great credit (extremely low risk of default) to below average credit (high risk of default).

I recognize how the game is played, and that's not my point. The reality is that the FICO score algorithm is a very poor indicator of actual default risk. This weak algorithm has significant consequences. Since my daughter will be entering college soon, our plan to finance via a 2nd will cost us several thousand more dollars now because of our high-risk (671) status. My next auto lease will be at a higher rate that will cost me hundreds of dollars more.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FICO Algorithm weakness

GW JCP -- they can remove the late.
Message 2 of 10
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

remboman wrote:
The reality is that the FICO score algorithm is a very poor indicator of actual default risk.

I beg to differ.  Statistically, it is probably a very good indicator.  That means, as in all statistics, that some points (like you) are outliers.  That is terrible for you, but does not invalidate the statistics.

And with scores like yours and history like yours, a GW letter probably has a good chance of success

Message Edited by MidnightVoice on 03-17-2008 11:55 AM
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 3 of 10
remboman
Established Member

MidnightVoice wrote: Statistically, it is probably a very good indicator. That means, as in all statistics, that some points (like you) are outliers. I believe that the inherent weakness in the algorithm is that it has to be oversimplified to provide risk assessments for hundreds of millions of credit users. The fact that it does not account for the amount of the 30 day late, whether it's $12 or $12,000 is the weakness. I realize that several additional variables would need to be included to more accurately assess the actual risk (ie other payments/amounts made during the same period, etc.) and it's just not feasible when you're assessing the risk of hundreds of millions of credit users. A better, more complex algorithm would enhance the probability of accuracy when calculating actual risk.
Message 4 of 10
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

remboman wrote:
I believe that the inherent weakness in the algorithm is that it has to be oversimplified to provide risk assessments for hundreds of millions of credit users. The fact that it does not account for the amount of the 30 day late, whether it's $12 or $12,000 is the weakness. I realize that several additional variables would need to be included to more accurately assess the actual risk (ie other payments/amounts made during the same period, etc.) and it's just not feasible when you're assessing the risk of hundreds of millions of credit users. A better, more complex algorithm would enhance the probability of accuracy when calculating actual risk.

I think you might find it is already very complex.

And it does not take income into account, and there are arguments for and against this.  So a late is a late

I just think that by and large it probably does do a pretty good job - the statistics used in health care decisions are probably both less precise and less accurate.

I am sure it can be improved, but this is a capitalist society.  As long as the model keeps the customers happy there is no need to improve it, and as you and I are not constomers, are opinions are worth not a thing.  Smiley Very Happy
Message 5 of 10
remboman
Established Member

As you said, "I just think that by and large it probably does do a pretty good job" "I am sure it can be improved" By and large, I agree. I give the algorithm about a "C". BTW - I looked at all your posts - how many of you are there?
Message 6 of 10
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

remboman wrote:
As you said, "I just think that by and large it probably does do a pretty good job" "I am sure it can be improved" By and large, I agree. I give the algorithm about a "C". BTW - I looked at all your posts - how many of you are there?

I suffer from MPD
Message 7 of 10
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

call JCP, they will, more than likely, remove the late.  They just removed two of mine and credited me my late fees.
Message 8 of 10
remboman
Established Member

Thanks. I'll give it a shot.
Message 9 of 10
modernsurrender
Established Contributor

Wasn't there something in some of the recent Fico 08 articles that talked about this very sort of issue?  Where John Doe has great credit, no lates, no negatives at all - then something happens and one minor baddie pops up and the new Fico 08 gives that baddie less of an impact than before?

I haven't read on the news forum in a while but I thought one of the articles discussed this sort of situation and decreasing the huge drops caused by this kind of issue.
Start 2/2008: TU 495 || EX 539 || EQ 528
Now 5/2013: TU 716 || EX ??? || EQ 702

Slate: $5000 Simplicity: $5000 David's Bridal: $3500 SW Chase: $3000 FNBO: $3000 Barclay NFL: $2500 BofA: $2400 Discover IT: $1700 Walmart: $1500 Victoria's Secret: $1000 Cap1: $750 Amex Zync: NPSL
(2 derogs to go until I'm squeaky clean in 2014!)
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.