cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO Score Simulator way off track? Won't this actually hurt my score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FICO Score Simulator way off track? Won't this actually hurt my score?

I'm trying to repair horrible credit from the past several years. I'm now self-employed and making 2x what I was making in the past (and the business has been growing for the past 3 years). I want to buy a house someday down the road and was hoping on doing this next year, but the more I look at my credit, the more I think it might not be for a couple more years. Here's my situation - I have some bad debt/collection records for a few previous credit cards totally about $4000. These are scheduled to come off my report in 2009. Personally, I would rather pay these off - but I'm afraid, from what I've read, that this will only restart the date of last activity and they will be on my report another 7 years. Because the debts were considered "revolving credit", the FICO Score Simulator tells me that if I pay off my revolving debt (these very old collection accounts), that my simulated score will improve by 40-80 points. This doesn't seem right to me, as these are collection accounts and soon to fall off the report. I also have to wonder if the dates of last activity are correct, as these items are not on my Transunion report anymore. Does anyone know if this will in fact help or hurt me to pay off these debts? I'd much rather pay, but not if it is going to restart the date of last activity and screw me over another 7 years. It's a shame that paying off a debt will only hurt you.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: FICO Score Simulator way off track? Won't this actually hurt my score?

Nevermind the score simulator! Have you read the credit scoring 101 thread?

Also I would consider a PFD letter for the unpaid collections. Here's a sample letter.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the links. Although, I'm still curious to know if paying off these old debts will restart the date of last activity and, if it does restart the date, will this be a temporary setback and will my score eventually increase showing the balances are now paid?
Message 3 of 4
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

mxnuy1 wrote:
Thanks for the links. Although, I'm still curious to know if paying off these old debts will restart the date of last activity and, if it does restart the date, will this be a temporary setback and will my score eventually increase showing the balances are now paid?

Assuming you never brought the account current... paying will NOT restart the 7 yr clock. However, it will update the DOLA which will impact your scores.

Nonetheless, you want PFD.

Message Edited by Tuscani on 08-31-2007 07:07 AM
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.