Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO Scoring Models...everyone is not knowledgeable

tag
A1Credit
Established Contributor

FICO Scoring Models...everyone is not knowledgeable

I am thinking about refinancing my auto loan with my local credit union.  I called today to get an understanding of their criteria as well as which credit bureau they used for scoring purposes.  I was told that they used Equifax but when I inquired as to which model the person looked at me like, "What are you talking about?" LOL I was like you know there are different models like Auto scores, fico 8... she still was confused and simply stated that they use Equifax.  I felt silly. Smiley Sad

Have any of you ever ran into this problem?

***Gardening 3/29/2018 until 9/25/2018***

FICO 8 Scores: EQ~692 l TU~657 l EX~669
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FICO Scoring Models...everyone is not knowledgeable

This type of stuff happens all the time with any number of lenders out there.  CS training only involves so much.  Many times you need to speak to someone at the next level if you want to feel like you aren't talking to a brick wall.

Message 2 of 14
A1Credit
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This type of stuff happens all the time with any number of lenders out there.  CS training only involves so much.  Many times you need to speak to someone at the next level if you want to feel like you aren't talking to a brick wall.

She asked the MANAGER though BBS!  Surely he should know, right?  They made me feel like I was making it up and was talking crazy.  Like, "Huh?" "Scoring models?" Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Who knows, perhaps even entry level managers aren't taught about different scoring models, as it's probably not something that comes up all too often.  Whenever I speak to someone that isn't on my level, I usually keep requesting to be transferred until I get to someone I can have an actual conversation with.

Message 4 of 14
A1Credit
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Who knows, perhaps even entry level managers aren't taught about different scoring models, as it's probably not something that comes up all too often.  Whenever I speak to someone that isn't on my level, I usually keep requesting to be transferred until I get to someone I can have an actual conversation with.

Maybe I should have requested to speak with the UW if possible or maybe I'll just go into one of the branches and talk.  I would just like to have some idea of my chances before risking a unneccesary hard pull.

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are some of your EQ scores above 720 and some of them much lower?  If so, then you are right that the model they use will matter.  If not, it may not matter, since they will all get you to the same place.

If you do talk with a rep again, be sure to be friendly when they exhibit vast failure to comprehend.  Most bank reps (including experts in loans) know very little about credit scoring, and certainly low-level CSR's don't.

It may be a fun opportunity for you to educate them.  You can explain that Equifax is not a company that makes credit scores.  Explain that they are one of the three big warehouses where consumer credit information is stored.  The score (you can explain) is a fancy computer program that is made by a company called FICO -- though there might be another company that makes the scoring program your CU uses.  That may cause a light to go off in their head and they may say "Oh yeah, it's your FICO score."  (Though maybe not -- they may remain dark.)  If you get that far, you can then explain that, just like Toyota makes many different models of trucks, FICO makes many different scoring models.  Just like a Tundra runs differently fromly from a Tacoma, so do the different FICO models.  You want to know which FICO model your CU uses for its auto loans. 

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Solid analogy with the Toyota reference above, CGID.

I think many people on this forum are likely more knowledgeable than your average creditor-related CSR.  I know when I went in-branch back in May to apply for my first Chase CC, I knew vastly more than the employee I dealt with across the desk from me, not only about credit, but about actual Chase products.  Whether this employee had 10 weeks of experience under his belt or 10 years I am not sure.

Message 7 of 14
A1Credit
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Are some of your EQ scores above 720 and some of them much lower?  If so, then you are right that the model they use will matter.  If not, it may not matter, since they will all get you to the same place.

If you do talk with a rep again, be sure to be friendly when they exhibit vast failure to comprehend.  Most bank reps (including experts in loans) know very little about credit scoring, and certainly low-level CSR's don't.

It may be a fun opportunity for you to educate them.  You can explain that Equifax is not a company that makes credit scores.  Explain that they are one of the three big warehouses where consumer credit information is stored.  The score (you can explain) is a fancy computer program that is made by a company called FICO -- though there might be another company that makes the scoring program your CU uses.  That may cause a light to go off in their head and they may say "Oh yeah, it's your FICO score."  (Though maybe not -- they may remain dark.)  If you get that far, you can then explain that, just like Toyota makes many different models of trucks, FICO makes many different scoring models.  Just like a Tundra runs differently fromly from a Tacoma, so do the different FICO models.  You want to know which FICO model your CU uses for its auto loans. 

I'm no where near 720 Smiley Sad but is it possible that they don't necessarily use a auto score?  What if they just use the EQ fico 8 score?  Is that possible?

I like your Toyota analogy and I would have gone into more detail if she had been more receptive.  She was looking at me like I had grown 3 heads.  LOL

Message 8 of 14
A1Credit
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Solid analogy with the Toyota reference above, CGID.

I think many people on this forum are likely more knowledgeable than your average creditor-related CSR.  I know when I went in-branch back in May to apply for my first Chase CC, I knew vastly more than the employee I dealt with across the desk from me, not only about credit, but about actual Chase products.  Whether this employee had 10 weeks of experience under his belt or 10 years I am not sure.

I get slightly uncomfortable because it makes me feel like a know-it-all especially when they are suppose to be the "experts."  I'm more comfortable sharing what I learn with people that I know and are close to me.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Carmax is one example of a major auto lender/seller who appears to be using FICO 8 Classic (not the Auto score):

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Auto-Loans/Auto-Lender-That-Uses-Standard-FICO-Not-Auto-Enhanced/td-...

I suspect there are quite a few others.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.