Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FRAUDulent Charges!!!

tag
kuku4koco
Frequent Contributor

FRAUDulent Charges!!!

Strange situation... I noticed an odd charge on one of my cards the other day (in pending status) that I knew I needed to dispute (once charge actually posted).  So, today I just happened to be talking to a friend asking what happened to our lunch plans; when she explains to me that she had to go to her bank to take care of some fraudulent charges on her bank card... I was floored and yes it was to the same place as my charge, only they had charged her card 4 times and mine only once.

So I immediately went back to my account and proceeded to take the necessary steps to get the card closed and a new one shipped (expidited fee waived Smiley Wink for making all on time payments!!).

The credit card company was able to determine it was fraud immediately just based on the way the card was used (card not present).  My question is... who does this??  Is it a server that ran our cards one day at another restaurant and took our card #'s to their night job and punched in our card #'s to make sure they worked?  How did it originate, it just so happen to be me and a friend, there could be more.... I'm just wondering how our numbers were captured in the first place... and if the thieves will be caught..

Apparently, these were trial charges to make sure the card #'s were good (and in the hopes the charges would go un-noticed)... they usually use the card #'s again for larger purchases at a later time.  Everyone, make sure you keep an eye on all of your accounts.  I watch mine like a hawk online about 3-4 times a week.  I feel lucky I was able to catch it so soon.

Also, the new card being shipped will have the new chip.

This is the first time I've ever been involved with something like this happening. 

EQ: 731 TU: 705 EX: 715

Cap1 QS: 9k USBank: 7k Amex BCE: 14.1k BoA: 8k Discover: 4.4k CareCredit: 12k *Various Store Cards: 18.7k
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FRAUDulent Charges!!!

Glad you caught it on time and thanks for sharing.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.