Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTC - does anything ever happen?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FTC - does anything ever happen?

Well - as I've posted many times before. I had a mistake (120 days late) on my EQ credit file. My credit file split. It was fixed on one but not other. My files re-merged, so did the issue. I submitted another disputer letter (number #2) last week.

HOWEVER, I got a surprise in the mail yesterday from Equifax. Saying they:

-received a copy of the complaint I filed with the FTC (I submitted it 40 days ago and forgot about it);

-apologized for any inconvenience; and

-promised to research the matter expeditously.

Now, is any of this true? Will the FTC letter help support my second dispute letter I sent (or possibly hurt it)? Does the FTC really carry any weight? It seemed to me initially they are very passive and have limited authority unless you involve a lawyer? Were my assumptions right or am I very wrong and the FTC really is a body that the CRAs take seriously and abide by?

Thanks in advance for the advice and help!

Message Edited by pjriverap on 10-21-2007 06:09 AM
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FTC - does anything ever happen?

FTC-

IMHO- it depends if you are just venting to them or if your rights have been violated and COULD seek damages.

If there is a serious and valid complaint - you should CC the CRA with the letter to FTC.

The CRA's are accocuntable to the  FTC.  
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.