cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FYI APPLYING ONLINE & DENIED may not be bad credit, your credit report COULD be locked by EXP EQ TU

tag
missmama
Contributor

FYI APPLYING ONLINE & DENIED may not be bad credit, your credit report COULD be locked by EXP EQ TU

Hi all Smiley Happy

I have an interesting bit of info to pass along to you all about online denials for any type of credit.

First, A little about me... I'm new here and enjoying learning more and more Smiley Happy  Before coming around here I had not looked at my credit report in years! I always got the credit/mortgages I needed so I didn't bother looking. BUT I do remember the old days when I first learned about credit, made mistakes and had to write to EX, EQ and TU to clean up my credit... I was 24 years. old and it was only done BY MAIL!! Wow times have changed. Good news is a bought my first house at age 26, had a 7 yr. old AND was just married and pregnant! I got it by myself and was proud. My husband didn't have much credit, one was bad and he didn't have a steady enough job yet. I had credit and a good steady job since I was 19 (still there) we later refi'd and he came on the loan. Now he has awesome credit and works for the same big Company I do... guess I fixed us both  Smiley Wink  yep, was the bill payer geek of the house. We did 18 good years but are now divorced but close friends!! I am now recovering from a short sale hit. So I am here with you all Smiley Happy 

Ok so I just wanted to give a background so you knew I was familiar with credit. And let me tell you... ME AND CREDIT ARE ONE!!  he he

So about the subject in the topic when applying for types of loans, credit card or increases online- denial may not be credit, it may be because your credit report may be locked by Experian, Equifax or Trans Union,  Your credit might not be the problem! 

I just wanted to make people aware that it could be that the reason you are denied credit when applying online could be that your account is locked... as in it will not let any site "pull" the report!! It could be an old address, old tel #, different name (marriage, divorce) or a typo of identifying info. 

When I went to AnnualCreditReport.com to pull my 3 free annual credit reports, I got 2 but Experian gave me an error and went right to a mail in form. I then tried to login their site but couldn't get the report. I then used a 7 day trail for Credit Monitoring with them, got through sign up, then same error (card has not been debited and trail extended to 30 days) ?? huh?? so I called them at 877 284-7942,  I was in total shock that the rep UNDERSTOOD my problem and knew right away I needed to verify my identity- that is why it wouldn't work. The problem was I moved 3 years ago and EXP never was reported the new address, my credit requests using my current address TRIGGERED the agency to put my file access as locked until I verify I am "me". She said she could ask me a few identifying’s (just like the other online reports do) and then release the file. YAY! Then after a hold, she told me she HAD to snail me the access code to the address I signed up with. She couldn't do it over the phone, I have to wait for the mail. Happy to have answer, not happy waiting. It took a week to get the code. Went to the site and WHAAA LA... I was IN!!  Note here- why did the other 2 agencies have my correct new address but not EXP?? I don't know??! Smiley Indifferent

When something on your identity is a miss match in agencies records, they "lock" access until you verify it. The error each site I tried for credit was different. I had one ( prosper.com) say ”Experian reported an error retrieving your credit score. For security reasons, you cannot proceed to create a listing without a valid credit score. Please contact customer service"  and when I was in PayPal, I applied for the MC and got a denial but did get the automatic Smart Connect line of credit (600.00). I couldn't get Bill Me Later (different PayPal account than Smart Connect but in my name too) either, I got an error: "your information was incomplete or inaccurate or the circumstances may have suggested that the purchase was not made by you"  I got Bill me Later after I fixed the "lock" and got it released. I also was able to get Prosper to pull and got the credit score info it needed. I know this is the reason because I tried for these credits the day I couldn't get into EXP and again after the access fix and they all went through.  

I do have credit to clean up, high debt mostly, so I really am glad to know it wasn't my credit that was stopping an approval, it was the allowing the web sites access to my report!!  

So please make sure you can pull reports from the 3 agencies before you apply for credit Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

I hope this helps others Smiley Happy

Peace!!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
delf
Established Member

Re: FYI APPLYING ONLINE & DENIED may not be bad credit, your credit report COULD be locked by EX

Thanks for sharing your story.  I believe most of us can relate.  

Cheers

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.