cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failure to negotiate removal of negative info...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Failure to negotiate removal of negative info...

Hi

I thought I was being pro-active by improving my credit 1 year before applying for a mortgate, now it has gone from 705 to 650 in all 3 credit agencies.

A collection item came on my credit report 2 months ago, i panicked and immediately paid this item off for a utility bill of $74.  Now I see that my credit reports have this collection as paid but the score has dropped badly.

In my eagerness to sort this collection out I paid the bill and now see that I could have negotiated for the collection agency to not post any negative info against me.

My question is, after the fact, can I try to get this info removed and have my credit score back to good standing.  The utility bill was for a previous address I lived at and the noitces were sent to this old address.  I am gutted that such a small bill will potectially ruin my chances of getting a good mortgage rate - especially in this inflated housing market.

Can anyone help me to see what options I have.  I have tried to contact the collection agencies so many times on the phone, but I am constantly transfered, have dropped calls or asked to leve a message which never get responded to.  The collection agency is NCO financial.

Thanks in advancre
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Failure to negotiate removal of negative info...

You're only option here is to send a GW letter, humbly asking them to remove the derog. reporting on your CR, and take it from there.  Be persistent, if they refuse the first time, send another one. 

In addition some people have had success disputing sometime after they pay a collection in the hopes that the CA won't verify.  That's a last option.

Try the GW first.
Message 2 of 8
sl
Established Contributor

Hi and welcome.

I would agree a GW letter is your best option. You may also want to contract the OC and explain the situation that you moved and you never received the bill and see if they can help you.

I have worked NCO on an AMEX issue and I really feel your pain with them. They are difficult at best. I left three calls for a supervisor to return a call and 4 months later I am still wait. Glad I did not sit by the phone.
Message 3 of 8
VLGaffEsq
Regular Contributor

God, I'm sick for you right now, but listen to the other posts.  Send a good will letter, then I would personally call and try to speak to a supervisor (as kindly and as respectfully as possible), and honestly explain your situation and beg like a dog for their help...talk about how you remedied the problem, were a good and loyal customer, will spread the good word for their compnay, whatever it takes.  Talk to the right person, and you just may get their help (which, in the long run, can save you thousands of dollars in your new mortgage).  Be persistent and don't give up!
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try Planetfeedback.com....I used them and NCO disappeared...
Message 5 of 8
sl
Established Contributor

Plantfeedback is a good idea. Thanks. I think I will use them for Midland as they are a problem child on my report.

Okay, trying put a little humor on a not so good situation.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Tried plantfeedback.com - but the website is non responsive, is there another link ? - thanks in advance
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seems to be working now...

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.