cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fair BT fee nowadays? (just based on experience...)

tag
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

Fair BT fee nowadays? (just based on experience...)

Hi, folks,

Haven't been on this board for ages as credit-related things almost completely dropped out from my life with other new hobbies, workload with my job etc. etc., but still came back as people here know everything Smiley Happy

Me and my DW are now enjoying 0% intro APR on a couple of cards for the amount of ~15-20% of our normal household annual income which is ~25-30% of our current income as it slightly dropped down (hopefully it's temporary). I think combined we have available credit of ~200% of our normal household income between all cards.

I recently realized that I might not be able to repay all my debt before intro APR period is over on both cards (~Feb-Mar 15), so I started looking into BT offers. Today we received letters from Citi where they offered 0% APR BT until Feb 2016 with $5 min / 3% fee to me, and 0% APR BT until March 2016 with $5min / 4% fee for my DW.

I remember some time ago I've seen 0% APR BT offers with 2% or even 1.5% fee, but not sure what bank it was as I've been normally shredding those BT checks right away.

So, what should be considered a good BT offer nowadays? To be on a safe side I'd prefer to have it for around extra year or so, that said 0$ fee offers with, let's say, $10.99% APR are less desirable than fixed-fee 0% intro APR. I think we are both ~730-750ish in terms of score.

Appreciate your insights,

Thanks!

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Luscher
Valued Contributor

Re: Fair BT fee nowadays? (just based on experience...)

Chase Slate. 0% apr on balance transfers and if you transfer when you open the card there is no fee
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 2 of 6
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

Thanks, I thought about Slate, but I already have 4 Chase cards :-(

I guess I might close 1 or 2 and apply for Slate, but ideally I wanted to refrain from applying for new Chase cards for now...

But thanks for reminding me about this option anyway!

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 3 of 6
NRB525
Super Contributor

@mikka1 wrote:

Hi, folks,

Haven't been on this board for ages as credit-related things almost completely dropped out from my life with other new hobbies, workload with my job etc. etc., but still came back as people here know everything Smiley Happy

Me and my DW are now enjoying 0% intro APR on a couple of cards for the amount of ~15-20% of our normal household annual income which is ~25-30% of our current income as it slightly dropped down (hopefully it's temporary). I think combined we have available credit of ~200% of our normal household income between all cards.

I recently realized that I might not be able to repay all my debt before intro APR period is over on both cards (~Feb-Mar 15), so I started looking into BT offers. Today we received letters from Citi where they offered 0% APR BT until Feb 2016 with $5 min / 3% fee to me, and 0% APR BT until March 2016 with $5min / 4% fee for my DW.

I remember some time ago I've seen 0% APR BT offers with 2% or even 1.5% fee, but not sure what bank it was as I've been normally shredding those BT checks right away.

So, what should be considered a good BT offer nowadays? To be on a safe side I'd prefer to have it for around extra year or so, that said 0$ fee offers with, let's say, $10.99% APR are less desirable than fixed-fee 0% intro APR. I think we are both ~730-750ish in terms of score.

Appreciate your insights,

Thanks!

I'm getting BT offers from several of my accounts. The terms have been such as:

BofA, two accounts, 4% fee, and choose between ~18 months at 0% APR and ~21 months at 1.99% APR. I have one of the BofA on a 12 month 0% expiring in May 2015, and the other on an 18 month 0% expiring in April 2016. Both were 4% fee to take the BT.

Discover: Currently on a 0% APR finishing in May 2015. That was 3% BT fee, 12 months, combined with a temporary $3k CLI during the same 12 months.

New Discover offers on hand with two options: 0%APR for 18 months from when the BT posts, with a 3% fee. Or, 4.99%APR for 24 months from the BT date, with No BT fee. This one would be tough to choose between, but I need to zero the account in May before deciding anyway.

US Bank: One account is currently on a 0% ~18 month expiring in January 2016. Recent offers for this account are 2.99%APR for 12 months with a 4% fee.

A second USBank account, I took a small portion of a 12-month 0% APR offer, recent offers also of 2.99%APR 12 months with 4% fee.

Capital One, no BT fee, 10.9% interest so it's a nice backup because in order to kite the balances, it is best to zero a card that has a balance left after the 0% finishes to start fresh.

As with anything credit related, YMMV.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 6
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

NRB525, thanks a lot for such a detailed description of your offers!

Now I more or less better understand the order of magnitude of offers - it seems that fees in the ballpark of 3-4% for 0% APR for 12 months (on average) are kind of norm.

I will try to investigate "synthetic" BTs (buying debit gift cards, loading them to Bluebird / Serve, if it is still possible - haven't tried for almost a year) first, and probably jump on one of the offers...

Message 5 of 6
rlx01
Established Contributor

3% is the norm.

4% is too high.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.