Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Falling off Credit Report...

tag
JohnJRambo
Established Member

Falling off Credit Report...

Long story short, I defaulted on student loans years ago. I have been paying whoever holds the loans now for about two years our agreed upon payment. The defaulted student loans fell off my credit report last month. By paying the agreed upon amount again this month, and from here on out, is that going to cause this to come up again on my credit report? I appreciate your input in advance, much appreciated!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Falling off Credit Report...

I am assuming, since the CRA has already excluded, that it is not a U.S. government insured or guaranteed student loan.

The credit report exclusion period would thus be based only on the DOFD, and that is a date-certain. 

Payment or non-payment is irrelevent to credit report exclusion, and you have no concern that it will cause be re-included.

Message 2 of 6
JohnJRambo
Established Member

The loan was a signature loan from Sallie Mae. I'm sorry but I'm having a difficult tiime understanding your reply, but know it is appreciated. CRA? I'll assume credit reporting agency? I did have a government issued loan default, but I pulled it out of default, so no worries with that one. DOFD? I have no intent of not continuing to pay the company that now holds the loans on behalf of Navient (Sallie Mae). On my credit report now there is no record of any student loan, other than the government issued loan, and it is reflecting positively. I'm just curious that if by making a payment is that going to bring the loans back up on my credit report, and thus reflect negatively again? I'm really curious because I've been working hard on my credit issues the past few years and have pulled all scores from the low 500's to now all three FICO 8 scores showing 750+. They boosted up significantly because of the student loans falling off my credit report last month, just wondering if I should be happy? Or if it's about to come back up and knock my scores right back down?

Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The derogatory reporring likely became excluded by the credit reporting agency  from your credit report based on it having reached approx. 7 years from the date of your first delinquency (DOFD) on the loan.  The DOFD is the date that you first became delinquent and therafter remainded delinquent until the creditor charged-off the delinquent debt.

That exclusion is based ONLY on the DOFD. 

The DOFD is a factual date that does not change based on any later payments or non payment.

Thus, it cannot be reinserted after exclusion once past the credit report exclusion period.

Message 4 of 6
JohnJRambo
Established Member

Thanks very much for your time and input, I greatly appreciate it.

Message 5 of 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Don't overlook the stickies as a resource.  Here's the Common Abbreviations thread which is listed in the Frequently Requested Threads sticky.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/User-Guidelines-General/Common-Abbreviations/m-p/88458

IIRC there are also stickies with more info on DOFD.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.