Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Falling off report

tag
Mm587
Regular Contributor

Falling off report

I have an alleged unpaid bill from ATT Uverse....It is from many many years ago and just showed up on my report recently.  I disputed it, but was told that it is valid.  I contacted the CRA and they are claiming that it is a charge for not returning equipment that I did in fact return.  The problem is I do not have any proof that I returned it.  They also said that If i returned it late, then by the letter of the contract they can chagre me.  Here is my question.  Is the 7 year time frame from the time of first delinquency, or is it possible for the time to be extended because the debt was sold to someone else.  thanks

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Falling off report

Different derogs have different exclusion periods.

What has been reported on the delinquent debt, by either the OC or a debt collector?

Message 2 of 8
Mm587
Regular Contributor

it is simply being reported as an unpaid bill!

Message 3 of 8
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Mm587 wrote:

The problem is I do not have any proof that I returned it.

Without that you're probably going to have a difficult time disputing it.  I had a similar situation and I was certain that I returned the equipment on time but without proof there's no way to win that argument.  Ended up negotiating a PFD with the CA (research in Rebuilding).

Message 4 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

So they reported a delinquency status without providing a date of the delinquency under your payment history profile?

If that is the situation, then you can dispute the reporing as lacking the required information of the month/year of the asserted delinquency.

Delinquencies have required credit report exclusion dates of no later than 7 years from their date of occurence.

Without reporting of the date of the deliqnuency, the CRA cannot determine its required exclusion date.

Disputes under FCRA 611(a)  can be made as to either the accuracy or completeness of information.

Their reporting, absent the date of the asserted delinquency, is incomplete under the CRa reporting requirments.

Message 5 of 8
Mm587
Regular Contributor

tkanks

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have an old credit card debt on my report that was purchased by another lender. The new creditor has "date of 1st delinquency 9-2011" and then Date Major Delinquency 1st reported 12-2014". Which one does the credit bureaus go by in order for them to "fall off" the report?

Message 7 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The DOFD.

The date of major delinquency is not relevant to credit report exclusion of the collection.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.