Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fed up with Synchrony's reporting

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fed up with Synchrony's reporting

A couple times now I have been burned by Synchrony randomly reporting my balance to the credit burueaus.  For the most part...especially if there is no card activity, they have been reporting on or near my statement date.  But if you actually use the card they will report to the bureaus on any random day, or multiple times a month, or who knows, nobody knows.  For someone like me, I may put a huge charge on the card knowing I will PIF BEFORE the statement cuts and BEFORE the card reports.  But with Synchrony, as soon as the charge is on, they taddle on me and run to the bureaus as fast as they can and tell the world you made a charge and thus completely destroy your scores.  When this has happened, I have had a heart attack and IMMEDIATELY paid it to 0.  But even though Synchrony has no problems immediately reporting any charge, they also have no problem taking their time in reporting your payment to 0 and will just leave you hanging for as long as they want.  I think it's very unfair they can report your balance at any given random minute, but they won't immediately report if you pay it to 0.  Yes this is a rant.  If I did not have such a nice credit line with them, I would definitely cancel my card with them.  I can't manage my credit scores with how they do business, thus I can't be prepared to app for things when I need.  There should be a regulation that if a bank chooses to randomly report any balance at any irregular time, they also MUST report it to 0 within 48 hours.  Rant over(or not).

53 REPLIES 53
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Fed up with Synchrony's reporting

Why not use a debit card that doesn't report to any CB? Or maybe only charge a small amount to the CC and the rest on the debit card? What's the purpose of using the CC? I've seen some banks giving decent cash back on debit card use.
Message 2 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

What Synchrony card is this, what's your limit and what are you spending on it?  I only have a Lowe's card through them and have never experienced any irregular reporting.  Also, my limit is high enough that they could report several thousand dollars, probably more and it wouldn't impact my scores.  Have you reached out to them about this?  Perhaps bump your limit higher through Credit Solutions so that it absorbs these issues better?

Message 3 of 54
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

What Synchrony card is this, what's your limit and what are you spending on it?  I only have a Lowe's card through them and have never experienced any irregular reporting.  Also, my limit is high enough that they could report several thousand dollars, probably more and it wouldn't impact my scores.  Have you reached out to them about this?  Perhaps bump your limit higher through Credit Solutions so that it absorbs these issues better?

+1000

Neither my Amazon nor my Lowe's card have ever had any irregular reporting*.  They both report the statement balance within a few days of the statement closing.  Paying to zero has never resulted in a mid-cycle report, nor has a large purchase of thousands.

*The one exception to this is when an unknown Amazon purchase appeared on my Amazon Prime Store card about a year ago and they issued me a new card number.  I temporarily had two Amazon accounts reporting for a few weeks - one closed, and then a new open one with duplicate information from the other account (same opening date, limit, balance, payment history, etc.).

Message 4 of 54
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I actually agree with op, i have experienced and have noticed it but op said it better. There are times when i make a purchase have to wait for it to post to pay then pay and bam , even though i know its nowhere near my due date, its already at the cra. Then you pay it takes forever for them to report it at zero. I feel your pain. Just part of the Sync experience i guessSmiley Wink
Message 5 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gmood1 wrote:
Why not use a debit card that doesn't report to any CB? Or maybe only charge a small amount to the CC and the rest on the debit card? What's the purpose of using the CC? I've seen some banks giving decent cash back on debit card use.

I use credit cards to get rewards and build my credit.  Using debit cards does nothing for your credit.  And yes, I thought I could use my Synchrony for a small charge, but no, they reported that also and it was enough to put my utilization up 0.5% which kicked up me into 10% which kicked my score down 10 points.  Yes, lesson learned.  Whenever I even suspect I might need to app for something, the Synchrony will be in the sock drawer a month in advance and stay there.

Message 6 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

This is the Paypal Extras card.

Incident #1:  I used to have a 3k limit.  I put a $2k charge on the card.  Instantly reported.  I paid it to zero and asked for a CLI.  They bumped my CL up to 10k.  Okay fine.

Incident #2:  My card is at 10k limit right?  I made a few small charges that added up to $350.  They ran and reported it.  I caught it two days after they did this.  Immediately paid it to 0.  Seven days later I am sitting here with still the balance on my reports.  By bad luck that $350 bumped me into the next utilization realm of 10% and crashed my score 10 points, and was trying to app for something today.

Message 7 of 54
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Totally understand the building credit part. lol

You said it crashed your scores? If your scores are current in the signature. How much of a difference do you believe those 10 points are going to make?

I'm just trying to understand what's the real world difference between a 770 and a 780?

IME it doesn't matter. If they're going to deny or approve. In this score range it's not going to make a difference from what I've experienced.

Message 8 of 54
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Yeah once you’re above around 750, you’re pretty much golden anyway. The only things that will stop you at the point would be specific things like number of recent inquiries/new accounts or running against specific app rules that some banks have (like 5/24).

That said I totally get the frustration. I’ve got $1K still showing up on my Barclay CashForward even though I paid it down to zero over a month ago. I’m hoping they actually print a statement this month and report the zero balance. Otherwise they’re going to get an unpleasant phone call from me. I get that different banks report differently and it’s bad enough just keeping up with that. It’s a whole other thing when they are inconsistent though.
Message 9 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gmood1 wrote:

Totally understand the building credit part. lol

You said it crashed your scores? If your scores are current in the signature. How much of a difference do you believe those 10 points are going to make?

I'm just trying to understand what's the real world difference between a 770 and a 780?

IME it doesn't matter. If they're going to deny or approve. In this score range it's not going to make a difference from what I've experienced.

You raise a good and valid point.  Am I being dramatic for nothing?  

Last week before Synchrony, my EX was 775 at 9% utilization.  After the Synchrony report, my EX was at 766 at 10% utilization.  None other of my accounts or data changed.  

Maybe I am being too uptight, but like everyone on here I really struggle for every point I can get because you never know the difference between approval and denial right?  Sometimes it comes down to 1 point or 1 inquiry or how one thing looks to the underwriters.  But your point is well taken.  

Message 10 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.