cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Federal Student Loan Reporting - "Customer unable to locate consumer student loan"

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Federal Student Loan Reporting - "Customer unable to locate consumer student loan"

I received an alert from MyFico indicating that a change had been detected on my credit report... I reviewed the change and determined that Great Lakes (company that handles federal student loans) changed the description on  both of my student loans with them from "student loan" to "Customer unable to locate consumer student loan". Any one have any idea what this means? It does not appear to be impacting my score in a negative manner, but I would like to know what it is. 

I called the loan company Great Lakes and they indicated that they would not have done that and that it must have been the credit bureau (equifax).... Which does not make any since all they do is report what the loan companies tells them, or at least I thought so.  I contacted Equifax and was forced into purchasing a Credit Report through them in order for them to be able to review it however they were not able to provide any additional information (at least that department) and I was told that I would need to call another number, there dispute department and they would be able to tell me more. 

Any one have any ideas what this is and what I should do about it? I mean since it is not showing as negative information is it even worth looking into any more? 

Thanks in advance. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Federal Student Loan Reporting - "Customer unable to locate consumer student loan"

I got the same message, and I used Great Lakes, too.  They must have screwed something up.  I get nothing when I google that message and am just as confused.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Federal Student Loan Reporting - "Customer unable to locate consumer student loan"

I got the same status update to my student loan from Great Lakes. My score dropped 16 points.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I got the same status update to my student loan from Great Lakes. My score dropped 16 points.

My score did not drop.... It actually went up by 8 points. 

Update: 

I contacted Great Lakes and was told that they would not have posted anything like that to my credit report and that it had to be the credit agency that put it on there. Which does not make any since considering that all they do is report what the bank tells them... So I called Equifax (since it only seems to show up there) and while the first person that I talked to could see what I was talking about they were not sure what it was. I was given another phone number and told that I would need to contact there claims/correction department and that they would be able to tell me more information about what it was and how to get it corrected. I have not had a chance to contact them yet, but once I do I will post another update. 

Thanks

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.