Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Few questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Few questions

First I want to thank everyone for their help so far. I had my first collection removed today after I dv'd the CA!

However, I have one account that I'm working on, with Midland Credit, which I understand is the devil, and I have a few questions about how I should go forward.

1. As I have recently read is common with Midland, they changed the DOLA to 04/2006, but the DOFD is sometime in early 2001 (not sure of exactly when). Which leads to my question, how would I go about confirming the DOFD, with the OC or do I have to DV Midland? With the CRTP coming up soon, I can just ride this out, but will the CRAs delete the accounts with Midland reporting this info? Or will the CRAs have the DOFD on record?

2. It seems that the above account was picked up by CBCS. I responded to their settlement letter with a DV. (I didn't DV Midland because I thought the DOLA applied to the SOL, which I now know is not true, edit: at least in Texas.) I've noticed some people prefer writing the CRAs regarding sent DVs immediately. I assume this speeds up the process of deletion (of course given the account isn't validated), but what is the downside to this, if one at all?

3. With all these changes going on, I want to stay up with my credit reports; however, I've come to understand that any "hits" on a credit report, including from the owner, negatively affect the score. Is this affect significant enough to pick and choose when to check a credit report, i.e. every few months? Or if I buy the annual subscription would that only count as one "hit"?

Thanks in advance. I'll keep everyone updated on my process, good or bad.

Message Edited by mbthomas on 02-25-2008 08:41 PM
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
modernsurrender
Established Contributor

Re: Few questions

Pulling your own reports does not affect your score.
As for the rest I'm too newbish to answer those haha
Start 2/2008: TU 495 || EX 539 || EQ 528
Now 5/2013: TU 716 || EX ??? || EQ 702

Slate: $5000 Simplicity: $5000 David's Bridal: $3500 SW Chase: $3000 FNBO: $3000 Barclay NFL: $2500 BofA: $2400 Discover IT: $1700 Walmart: $1500 Victoria's Secret: $1000 Cap1: $750 Amex Zync: NPSL
(2 derogs to go until I'm squeaky clean in 2014!)
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

#2-
You did the right thing by DVing CBCS-
I am sure you know in Texas you can DV at any time and the 30 day rule does not apply.

As far as disputing as soon as the DV is recieved- This is refered to the "1-2 Punch" Google that-

The 1-2 Punch is borderline (in myFico's eyes) as a credit repair. As such detail can not be posted on this subject.

It is illegal for the CA to change the DOFD to make the CA stay on longer- They MUST report the date from the OC or you can sue them.   
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
#2-

It is illegal for the CA to change the DOFD to make the CA stay on longer- They MUST report the date from the OC or you can sue them.

Thanks for the information. How would I go about verifying the DOFD, as Midland has chosen not to report it.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.