Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fico Gurus...What should I do now?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fico Gurus...What should I do now?

I need some direction please... divorce has destroyed my credit.

Current issue I am dealing with: 

Pulled my 3 CR and noticed 2 Union Bank of California checking accounts listed as follows:

EX

Acct: XXXXXXXX (is listed partially)
Status: Account charged off. $776 written off. $437 past due as of Feb 2008
Status Details: on record until June 2012
Date Opened: 06/1987
Reprted Since: 10/2005
Date of Status 11/2005
Last Reported 02/2008
Type: Revolving (this was a checking acct?)
Terms: NA
Monthly Payment $0
Responsibility:  Joint with (ex spouse)
Credit Limit/Original Amount: 776
High Balance: 859
Recent Balance 776 as of 02/2008
Recent Payment $0

Acct History:
Charge Off as of Nov 2006 to Feb 2008, Oct 2005 to Sep 2006

**Second Acct listed similarly just different amounts so I will save space on that

EQ

Acct Number:  XXXXX (partially listed)
Acct Owner: Shared but otherwise undesignated
Type of Acct:  Line of Credit (huh?)
Date Reported:  01/2008
Scheduled payment: $0
DOFD: N/A
Charge off Amount: $0
High Credit: $776
Balance: $776
Amt Past Due: $437
DOLA: 06/2005
Type of Loan:  Debit Card (used when backed by a line of credit or overdraft protection)

**Again, both accounts listed but same way so I will spare the details

TU

**listed under Accounts in Good Standing

Account #  XXXXX (listed in full)

Loan type: Debit Card

Balance (blank)

Date Updated: 12/2007
High Balance:  $776
Pay Status:  Unrated
Account Type: Open Account
Responsibility:  Participant on Account
Date Closed:  10/2005

**Other acct also listed same way***

So, the OC - Union Bank reported the debt differently to all 3 Bureaus (shocking)

History - When we filed for divorce 11/2004, I went into the branch to remove myself from all accounts we shared (total of 3)  1 account was closed... My ex being primary on these 2 accounts had to close the other 2 ... apparently this was not convenient for him so he did not (unbeknownst to me)  I never received a statement /communication from Union Bank since that time and he told me I was no longer on his accounts so I naively believed that to be the case.  I stopped all activity w/these accts.

Jump forward... I pull my CR this month and immediately call the Bank on 02/22 to find out why this reported on my credit reports. 

Nice guy tells me - sorry the accounts were not closed and account belonged to both of you. 

Me- I did not know they were open and never used them since. 

Nice guy - well we don't have the records so I can not investigate that now... but you were co signer/owner  anyway so you are responsible.

Me- I did not receive 1 statement/correspondence from Union Bank so I did not know about my ex causing the acct to go negative status.  Even though I was not responsible I would have taken care of it for him to keep it from my reports.

Nice guy - We only send info to Primary Account Holder.  

Me- May I speak to a Supervisor?  I am willing to resolve this if it will be removed from my reports, though this is not my debt.  Please send me a statement of this debt please.

Nice guy- We don't delete entries from Credit Agencies, but I will have a Supv call you back.

Today... I have yet to receive anything in the mail and of course a Supervisor never called.

What do I do???  I don't want them to try to sue me (I never said I wouldn't pay)  Is a PFD going to pi$$ them off?  Do large banks not do PFD's?  Should I do a PFD similar to or in conjunction with a GW explaining how my ex filed for bankruptcy dumping tons of debt including a repo of his veh on me and how I am trying to rectify the damage he caused?  I have to take action in some way now that they know I recognize the debt.

SORRY SO LONG!!!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fico Gurus...What should I do now?

Dispute eachwith the CRAs and wait for it to verify. then send the letter in this thread separately for each account- he alredy told you they don't have the 'records'....
Message 2 of 7
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

Thats interesting that they only send info to the primary account holder. Too bad he didn't have a ton of money in those accounts, I would have said to go to the bank since you are still listed on the account and withdrawal everything. lol
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value
Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

800+ Club
Message 3 of 7
LittleCat
Contributor

When I was going through divorce in 1998 my situation was the same,my ex was primary acct. holder, so he had to remove me from it or close it.

He kept not removing me(I called the bank everyday) then I decided that every day that passed he would pay me. He had alot of money in the account that was rightfully his. I e-mailed him stating I would withdraw $1000. each day until he closed it. He blew me off till day two when he realized $2000. was gone and I had legal right to take it since I was still on the account!!

Message 4 of 7
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

LittleCat. Remind me to never marry you. j.k.

All jokes aside, I hate the fact that is an account is joint BOTH partied must agree to account changes. I was in a similar situation years ago with an ex fiance' but thankfully everything turned out OK in the end.
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value
Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

800+ Club
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!!

Lady Scarlet... Thank you for the advice.  I disputed with the 3 CRA's as not mine.  One has come back verified so far...grrr.  I will send the letter when all disputes are in.  I appreciate you taking the time to read my letter and respond.  I have read a lot of your threads/advice and it is obvious you go out of your way to help as many as you can.  Thanks again for your generosity in continuing to support all in our endeavors to improve our credit scores!

Everyone else who took the time to read and respond.  Thank you for your words and support.  It was much needed comic relief and helps to know there are others that have come out the other side of this.  Good Luck to you all on your credit repair journeys!
Message 6 of 7
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

History - When we filed for divorce 11/2004, I went into the branch to remove myself from all accounts we shared (total of 3) 1 account was closed... My ex being primary on these 2 accounts had to close the other 2 ... apparently this was not convenient for him so he did not (unbeknownst to me) I never received a statement /communication from Union Bank since that time and he told me I was no longer on his accounts so I naively believed that to be the case. I stopped all activity w/these accts.

Strange practice, as this is a joint account. If you are jointly and severally liable for the account, you ought to be able to close the account regardless of who is primary. Else, you should have been able to remove yourself from the account. That is pretty easily done with a simple account change form (these days it's computerized).

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.