Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fighting Inquries

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fighting Inquries

Hi! I saw a few Inquries on my credit report that I dont remember applying for. I sent those financial companies lettes stating to send me proof of this. One of them wrote back and is asking me to provide Full name, Current Address, last 4, Date of birth, IP address, current phone and email address. They states that once they recieve that information to verify and that if it does not match they will have it removed. Here is where it gets tricky. I thought THEY were supposed to send proof...no ask me for that information. HELP? Anyone...

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Fighting Inquries

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi! I saw a few Inquries on my credit report that I dont remember applying for. I sent those financial companies lettes stating to send me proof of this. One of them wrote back and is asking me to provide Full name, Current Address, last 4, Date of birth, IP address, current phone and email address. They states that once they recieve that information to verify and that if it does not match they will have it removed. Here is where it gets tricky. I thought THEY were supposed to send proof...no ask me for that information. HELP? Anyone...

Send them what they want if you want to get them deleted. I would double verify they are not yours for new accounts or a decline on a loan app before continuing on. Also if these are soft pulls let it drop you are the only one that gets to see those.

Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

As long as a party making a request for a consumer's credit report submits a statement of their permissible purpose along with their inquiry, the CRA will provide the credit report unless they have evidence that it is clearly an improper statement.

Thereafter, the cat is out of the proverbial bag, as the report has been sent, and the CRA will consider the inquiry to be factual unless the consumer clearly shows otherwise.

Thus, the only effective method to "fight" and inquiry is to demonstrate by documnentation that the party did not have permisible purpose.

Since a consumer does not know what the requiesting party submitted in their statement, contesting an inqquiry would begin by acquiring the statement of permissible purpose provided to the CRA.  There is a process that permits a consumer to obtain any information of record in their credit file.  See FCRA 609(a).

A party does not need to respond to a request made to them by a consumer regarding their inquiry.

Just because you request proof does not compel one to produce it.

To the contrary, disputes pertaining to credit inquiires are specifically exempted from the direct dispute process under the implementing rules as 16 CFR 660.4.

One would need to bring civil action and compel disclosure via the court's discovery process to compel such information.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol! Can you dumb this down for me?
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

TLDR: hard to dispute inquiries, send them what they asked and hope for the best.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.