Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filed a lawsuit against a CA

tag
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Filed a lawsuit against a CA

@Anonymous wrote:

Great news today!  My service was successfully delivered Monday morning to both addresses.  Today, I received a call from the company and they want to settle out of court.  As a part of the settlement, they have agreed to the following:

• Pay me $1,000 plus the court costs I have incurred so far
  • Consider the alleged debt as fully satisfied
  • Remove the inquiry from my credit report

I should get a check and a letter stating all of this sometime next week in the mail.  Once I have the letter and my check has cleared, I will withdrawal my lawsuit.

Wow, that's awesome !!  Congrats on your success !!   Heck who cares about the inquiry now, you just hit the lottery ! 

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 21 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations for hanging in there and wining. Most follks would not have the fortitude to do so. Please post back once the check is received and all is closed. I would be very interested to see it closed for good. 

Message 22 of 30
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

wth, that is a generous settlement, IMO.  I would have expected them to offer to wipe the inquiry and maybe even pay any court costs, but to pay you cash on top as an initial settlement offer.  Wow.  Congrats.

I'm off to go sue somebody now.  I didn't know it was this easy.  LOL j/k Smiley Tongue

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 23 of 30
marty56
Super Contributor

Nice, very nice.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 24 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess it is official and this will probably be my last post here (unless anyone has any questions.  I received a letter from the CA today that addressed all the points of our agreement as well as the check for $1169.  I also signed my part agreeing to drop my case and that I release them from any further liability regarding this issue.  Everything looked good and the check is in the bank.  I will be heading down to the courthouse tomorrow to withdrawal my case.  Definitely glad to have this over and done with, including a positive outcome.

Message 25 of 30
IOBA
Senior Contributor

jimbo831 - It may be too late to add to this....I would add a phrase that says they are prohibited from selling or giving or trading the alleged debt to anyone else AS WELL AS (sorry if I missed this part already)  the information on the original debt.  You want to be able to recognize the alleged originator of the debt in the event it comes back to visit you in disguise.

Lots of stories of CA's passing along "settled" debts to others...even when the debt was paid off in full.

Message 26 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@IOBA wrote:

jimbo831 - It may be too late to add to this....I would add a phrase that says they are prohibited from selling or giving or trading the alleged debt to anyone else AS WELL AS (sorry if I missed this part already)  the information on the original debt.  You want to be able to recognize the alleged originator of the debt in the event it comes back to visit you in disguise.

Lots of stories of CA's passing along "settled" debts to others...even when the debt was paid off in full.

Great point.  They actually did say something in there about the debt being fully satisified, never to be sold or transferred to another company.

Message 27 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent..."

- C. Coolidge

Message 28 of 30
dragnldy
Regular Contributor

that if friggin' awesome!  good for you!

Ficos
3/7/08 TU-646 EQ-640 EX-650
3/17/09 TU-678 EQ 666
3/20/12 TU- 760 EQ 785
Util almost 0 and baddies all gone! now to gardening!
Message 29 of 30
the_jan_b
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Great news today!  My service was successfully delivered Monday morning to both addresses.  Today, I received a call from the company and they want to settle out of court.  As a part of the settlement, they have agreed to the following:

• Pay me $1,000 plus the court costs I have incurred so far
  • Consider the alleged debt as fully satisfied
  • Remove the inquiry from my credit report

I should get a check and a letter stating all of this sometime next week in the mail.  Once I have the letter and my check has cleared, I will withdrawal my lawsuit.

That's an AWESOME outcome!!!

Enjoying your freedom? Thank a servicemember and their family!

In the garden since 26 Jun 14...

I am digitaldiva's alter-ego

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.