Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filing a Dispute

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Filing a Dispute

I have recently been trying to get lates off my CR. I currently have a few 120d lates from Nelnet that were over 2 years ago. I have tried several goodwill letters, but no success. Someone told me I should try filing a dispute through a credit bureau (TransUnion , Equifax, Experian). The information on my credit report is accurate, but I was notified if I file a dispute and the company doesn't respond to the burearu within a certain amount of time, the information will automatically get removed. Is this worth a shot? Are there any repercussions if I do this? My scores have improved over the past two years, but I am only in the 655-665 range and would like to get them in the 700s so I can refinance student loans. 

THANKS! 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Filing a Dispute

@Anonymous wrote:

I have recently been trying to get lates off my CR. I currently have a few 120d lates from Nelnet that were over 2 years ago. I have tried several goodwill letters, but no success. Someone told me I should try filing a dispute through a credit bureau (TransUnion , Equifax, Experian). The information on my credit report is accurate, but I was notified if I file a dispute and the company doesn't respond to the burearu within a certain amount of time, the information will automatically get removed. Is this worth a shot? Are there any repercussions if I do this? My scores have improved over the past two years, but I am only in the 655-665 range and would like to get them in the 700s so I can refinance student loans. 

THANKS! 

You could dispute through Credit Karma.  But if it's accurate you shouldn't really dispute it.  They will just come back as it is accurate.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Filing a Dispute

If the reported information is inaccurate, a dispute is not proper.

Filing of a dispute requires identification of an asserted inaccuracy.  If there is no asserted inaccuracy, there is no basis for a dispute of its accuracy.

As for required deletion if the furnisher fails to investigate and respond, a dispute that lacks a required element, which includes the identification of an inaccuracy, can be dismissed without any requirement for any investigation as being "frivolous or irrelevant" without any requirement to investigate.  See FCRA 611(a)(3).

Reinvestigation by the CRA is not required if the dispute is dismissed as frivolous or irrelevant, and thus the posted premise that deletion is required based on lack of response within 30 days is not correct if the dispute is dismissed.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.