Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fingerhut/WebBank Collection reporting 4 times

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fingerhut/WebBank Collection reporting 4 times

In 2013, I was new to credit and was approved for a fingerhut/webbank account. It got sent to collections for 301$. On my credit report it is posting 4 seperate times under Fingerhut 3 times and Midland Credit once. The accounts have seperate account numbers except 2 of them are the same numbers. I have no idea if this is even legal and I've tried to do the research my self. Can anyone give advice on what to do about this?

Fingerhut. account #aaa. PAID AND CLOSED. Balance $0

Fingerhut. account #bbb. Charge off account. Balance $301

Fingerhut. account #bbb (same as above). Charged account- transfered/sold. Balance $0

Midland Credit. Fingerhut. account #ccc. Collection account. Balance $302.

The collection agency seems to be adding a dollar to the balance shown, but I am sure that it is the same debt.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Fingerhut/WebBank Collection reporting 4 times

It is perfectly proper for the same debt to be reported by the OC as the history on the account, and then by a debt collector to show the collection by the assgined or purchasing debt collector.

However, if you only had a single account agreement with the original creditor, then they should be reporting only once.

File a dispute on the three postings by the creditor, asserting that two of the three are duplicates.

You need a dispute prior to pursuing any other action, giving the creditor the opportunity to first correct the duplicate reporting.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fingerhut/WebBank Collection reporting 4 times

Okay, I will dispute those right now. Thank you for your help.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.