Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Snowballing, next attacking high interest

tag
krielly
Established Contributor

First Snowballing, next attacking high interest

We've had a 5th wheel on consignment for 2 years. $546/mo payment (OUCH). We were way underwater on it, so I used the time to make extra payments to principal to get out from under the darn thing Smiley Happy I paid an extra 10K on it last year. I tried not to think about it too much, and just focused on getting rid of the monthly payment.

In the beginning of December, it finally sold Smiley Happy Next I decided to attack the low hanging fruit and have so far eliminated the following monthly payments:

5th Wheel loan - $546/mo - paid in full Dec

Personal loan  - $158/mo - paid in full Feb

Truck Payment - $319/mo - paid in full Feb

Personal loan - $341/mo - paid in full in 2 days Smiley Happy - 2 years early Smiley Happy

So, this leaves us with my DHs two credit cards and his motorcycle loan. I'm tempted to continue the "snowball" approach, as its so motivating. Paying off the motorcycle loan will free up another $394/mo. There's only a little over 8K left on the loan at 3.74%, however I know it makes much more sense to attack DHs credit cards at a much much higher interest rate. He has a Sears (OUCH) with a $1900 balance, and a Discover with a $5900 balance. My cards are used slightly, but I PIF every month.

Snowballing really helped me get excited about sacrificing and paying off debt, but I think now its time to approach this from a financial standpoint.

Feels so good to be putting such a major dent in it all! Smiley Happy Smiley Happy I can see the light Smiley Happy

K

You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: First Snowballing, next attacking high interest

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! Reducing debt is always a fantastic feeling.

Message 3 of 7
stellar
Established Contributor

Wow congrats on your focus and discipline!  I think you'd be fine to pay off the motorcycle loan asap, if that's what you want to do.  The other cc balances aren't that high.

Message 4 of 7
krielly
Established Contributor

23 months left on the MC loan at 3.95% While it would be nice to have that payment gone, it seems to make more sense financially to get DHs CCs paid off in the next 8-10 mos or so.......Will save much more in interest, but so tempted to pay off the bike to see that monthly payment go away.... Smiley Happy

You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing!
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on your progress. I'm not sure what a 5th wheel is, but a $546 payment plus a payment of more than $10,000 while still paying additional funds on it does indeed sound high. Good luck moving forward! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 7
krielly
Established Contributor

Smiley Happy It's an RV

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.