Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Steps

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First Steps

I just registered today and have read many success stories!  I was wandering what is the first step that I take in improving my credit?  I know I need to purchase my credit report from all 3 bureaus but would any of you recommend purchasing the Suze Orman's FICO kit platinum or just order the 3 credit reports?  I know my credit score is around 510. What is recommended?
Message 1 of 3
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: First Steps

Welcome to the forums!

I had started repair last year and found there were several things that helped along the way. I'd recommend pulling all three FICO reports via this site (only place to get them anyway). The only products I have used were the ScoreWatch, which aided in a free CR or two from EQ and monitoring for EQ, and also I have used the Credit Complete (I think) where I pull frequently all three reports to track the score changes and to catch subtle changes here and there with each account.

I'd also recommend pulling all three CRs directly from each CRA. Don't pay for any scores (as they are not FICOs, except for EQ) and you can get all 3 for free annually via annualcreditreport.com. There's info on those reports you'd need for repair like drop off dates (on TU and EX), soft pulls, better contact info, more account detail, etc.

Next, I'd also recommend subscribing to a credit monitoring service that tracks all 3 reports. The favored one here tends to be TrueCredit.com. Again, ignore the scores and advice too, but it will track changes to each report. Whenever I have a major change in those reports, I pull my myFICO report to look at the score change. This saves money as you won't need to pull the FICO reports as often.

Finally, look around in the Rebuilding Your Credit forum and you'll find a wealth of info regarding legit repair.

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forums!

I had started repair last year and found there were several things that helped along the way. I'd recommend pulling all three FICO reports via this site (only place to get them anyway). The only products I have used were the ScoreWatch, which aided in a free CR or two from EQ and monitoring for EQ, and also I have used the Credit Complete (I think) where I pull frequently all three reports to track the score changes and to catch subtle changes here and there with each account.

I'd also recommend pulling all three CRs directly from each CRA. Don't pay for any scores (as they are not FICOs, except for EQ) and you can get all 3 for free annually via annualcreditreport.com. There's info on those reports you'd need for repair like drop off dates (on TU and EX), soft pulls, better contact info, more account detail, etc.

Next, I'd also recommend subscribing to a credit monitoring service that tracks all 3 reports. The favored one here tends to be TrueCredit.com. Again, ignore the scores and advice too, but it will track changes to each report. Whenever I have a major change in those reports, I pull my myFICO report to look at the score change. This saves money as you won't need to pull the FICO reports as often.

Finally, look around in the Rebuilding Your Credit forum and you'll find a wealth of info regarding legit repair.

Message 2 of 3
treski
Frequent Contributor

Suze's kit allows you to view your reports for an entire year, but if you just print them anyway then this is not necessary, as they don't update.

The Credit Complete is a few bucks cheaper and you can still pull all three reports, but you cannot view them for as long (a month, I think ... lol ... I just print).

Try googling discount codes.  It might take you a few tries at checkout before you get one that is still valid, but they are often up to 20% off. 

In my experience, Credit Complete has discounts more often.

I use TrueCredit to monitor my reports and like Ilecs said, when I see that something significant has happened on my report on TrueCredit, I go ahead and buy the Credit Complete package here from myFICO so I can see my scores.

NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa $25k, USAA MC $3.5k, USAA Amex $3.5k
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.