Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First post, collection

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First post, collection

We're trying to polish our scores in order to buy a home soon, and I was surprised to find a collection on one of my reports.

I'm really not sure how to proceed, and the abbreviations in the forums have my head spinning (after all the military abbreviations I have to TRY to keep straight, I just can't wrap my head around any more!).

Some of the details, if it helps.

It's a utility bill, only $90, incurred in Utah. Assigned 10/2003, reported 12/2004 (I don't know the date this debt was incurred or became delinquent... most likely sometime after Oct 2002, when I left the state.)

I'm currently in North Carolina. It seems that the Statute of Limitations is 3 years here, so unless I'm mistaken, I'm in the clear on this point.

The OC and CA are listed in the report, but I'm not sure who is actually reporting (the CA is listed in bold at the top, so maybe it's them).

I'm happy to pay this, but I don't know the best way to proceed in order to get it removed from my report. I've never been contacted by the CA about this debt.

Any advice for the new kid?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: First post, collection

welcome aboard!

first are you sure you owe the debt? if so i would try to contact the utility company and work out a pay for delete/goodwill araingment. if not then a debt validation letter to the collection agency should start the process of getting it off you report.

one thing i forgot, if this thing is even close to being 7 years old, edit the above to read don't even breath on it. after 7 years it's past crtp and it should just fall off.

Message Edited by dnm45227 on 03-23-2008 02:36 AM
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dnm45227 wrote:
first are you sure you owe the debt? if so i would try to contact the utility company and work out a pay for delete/goodwill araingment. if not then a debt validation letter to the collection agency should start the process of getting it off you report.

I am not completely sure, but I did have an account with the OC while I still lived in Utah. I really had thought all of those old bills were paid, but I was so disorganized back then (just married, just moved, war deployments, etcetera) that I may have missed it. Should I contact the OC to find out if it's really mine?
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

To begin with  the debt accured in Utah  so SOL would be 4-6 years (im not sure if it goes by open or promissory note)    I would wait until the end of this year so that you are sure that SOL has past.

OR  call the Utah state & ask which SOL it falls under.

When SOL has past you have a better chance that they will accept a PFD.   At that time I would mail a PFD to the OC  and offer full amount.

If they accept and sign the PFD   pay it.  IF not it will delete the in 2009 or 2010
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dnm45227 wrote:
one thing i forgot, if this thing is even close to being 7 years old, edit the above to read don't even breath on it. after 7 years it's past crtp and it should just fall off.

Message Edited by dnm45227 on 03-23-2008 02:36 AM

What's the benefit of this?
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

happydays explained it better than i did, it was late and i was confusing sol w/crtp. his post summed it up.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
To begin with the debt accured in Utah so SOL would be 4-6 years (im not sure if it goes by open or promissory note) I would wait until the end of this year so that you are sure that SOL has past.
OR call the Utah state & ask which SOL it falls under.
When SOL has past you have a better chance that they will accept a PFD. At that time I would mail a PFD to the OC and offer full amount.
If they accept and sign the PFD pay it. IF not it will delete the in 2009 or 2010

Thanks so much for the help HappyDays and Ducky!
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.