Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First unsecured CC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First unsecured CC

Hello everyone,

I started my credit journey in June by getting Secured CC with BofA ($1000 initial deposit). In this topic I was told to wait for 6 months making my payments on time to get my FICO Score. So I'm about to hit 6 months mark in early December. So once I do that, I want to know what card to apply for. Capital One? Discover? AMEX? There are so many of them, so I'm kind of confused. 

A little info on myself: 22 yo, make about $1700/month. Don't pay rent. Only family bills (roughly $750 a month).

Credit Karma shows 698 TU and 704 EQ.

Any kind of information is highly appreciated.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Kree
Established Contributor

Re: First unsecured CC

Is your BoA a visa or MC?  Cause I like to recommend people get a variety.  Discover is a great place to begin, but Capital1 is a MC, so you might be doubling up there.

Not that it actually matters. But if you only have 3 cards for a few years while your report ages, might as well have a variety.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

BofA is Master Card

Message 3 of 5
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Kree wrote:

Is your BoA a visa or MC?  Cause I like to recommend people get a variety.  Discover is a great place to begin, but Capital1 is a MC, so you might be doubling up there.

Not that it actually matters. But if you only have 3 cards for a few years while your report ages, might as well have a variety.

Capital One has a mix of Visa and MasterCard products right now. Quicksilver, Journey, Venture, and VentureOne appear to be Visas, while the rest appear to be MasterCards.

OP, I think your immediate goal should be a card that's unsecured. Once you have your FICO scores, you'll probably have a better idea as far as what might be available. Definitely check the pre-quals on the sites for all the cards you mention.

Message 4 of 5
Kree
Established Contributor

Interesting, I used to have a C1 visa, when they were Chevy Chase, but when they were bought out, I got switched to a MC, I always assumed C1 was MC only.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.