Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For VA residents.. AppleFCU

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

For VA residents.. AppleFCU

Does anyone have any experience with this cu?  I know that they are good to get in with for things from cc to home loans, but didn't see anything about them in my search on this forum.  From what I know they are only for VA residents so I don't know if the fact that they're local makes a difference, but thought I'd try to get some input before opening accounts with them. I'd like to find a cu that will give me nice limits when I'm ready to app like everyone else on here Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: For VA residents.. AppleFCU

No personal knowledge of Apple - but MAFCU (montgomery County, MD) is also local (live work or worship in MC) and they have been real good to deal with so far.  Tend toward NavyFed, USAA and PenFed myself - and happy with them - MAFCU was close and I qualified so I opened my share and checking accounts.  Will add the NAR FCU as soon as they lauch it.  I like CUs
Message 2 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

They have a branch down from my office. They are on my to get list for 2008. Their Visa goes up to $35k.

They are geared for northern VA, but there's a couple of associations anyone can join (like as with JFCU or NASA) which can lead to membership into Apple.

Message Edited by llecs on 12-31-2007 09:02 AM
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lady Scarlet, I didn't know they are opening a NAR CU.  Do you know when that is supposed to be?  The title company I work for is an affiliate with NVAR and NAR, I wonder if that makes me qualified to join...
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

llecs, good to know about their limits! There is a branch a block away from my house, thought maybe I'd bank with them because I cannot STAND my current bank. 
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If memory serves it is due in 2008  GCAAR has one now - very 2nd rate though - CARFCU http://www.carfcu.org/

It's opening and being able to transact in all 50 that is slowing NAR a bit - it is a big undertaking and I know they have funded it.
Message 6 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

HelpMe01 wrote:
llecs, good to know about their limits! There is a branch a block away from my house, thought maybe I'd bank with them because I cannot STAND my current bank. 

I just checked their site and I counted 15 branches mainly in PW, Fairfax, and Loudon counties. I was with Provident until last week (still have Wachovia and BofA), but I might just open an acct  there. Nothing beats the small bank customer service.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had accounts with Provident since 1998!  Things have changed as they have grown but they still treat me well.  The truly free checking is great!  That's my personal play money and it can be $2 for months or $2000 and no fees.  Love it.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have Provident too!! Don't quite like them though, they have screwed up my deposits on several occassion causing massive OD fees.  After weeks of debating they finally figured out it was their fault and I did get all the money back, but its the principal of the matter. I'm there every Friday like clockwork.   Another thing I don't like about them is they have no CS reps available after business hours.  Don't usually need to speak to one but I needed to I'd like to have that option.. I have Wachovia too and they have been very gracious to me. 
Message 9 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Lady_Scarlet wrote:
I've had accounts with Provident since 1998!  Things have changed as they have grown but they still treat me well.  The truly free checking is great!  That's my personal play money and it can be $2 for months or $2000 and no fees.  Love it.

I apologize for the hijacking.

Here in VA, we opened an acct with Horizon Bank in 1997 (prior to mergers). It was great. Deposits cleared the same day. There were no fees. Friendly atmosphere. All good until they were bought out by Southern Financial Bank. Fees came, but were low compared to others. Deposits had 1 day hold, but the industry norm. And still great CSR folks. Then Provident took over. Better services (ie locations, products), but they always would place longer holds on deposits. Then they closed several branches here due to takeover. They cut their hours. And it became like all the other big banks. New employees every quarter, and so on. Sorry, but I had to vent. I missed that small community bank feel.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.