cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud alert question!

tag
DannyC990

Fraud alert question!

I checked my on-line baking today and discovered 2 charges to my debit card that I didn't recongize. I called PNC and they said they were from a service-station in BRAZIL. From what she could tell me, the charge was made with a "swipe" transaction, so the card was copied or something.

Now my question: Should I go ahead and place a fraud alert on my credit information?

I don't normally carry my credit cards with me, unless I know I'll be using them (and I haven't used them since November). All my cards are accounted for. I've changed my passwords to my credit card log-in as well as on-line banking. I can't think of anything to do.

If you recommend to place a fraud alert, how would I go about doing it? Thanks!

Current credit cards:
PNC Secured, Capital One Secured, Target, Ashley Funiture/Synchrony, Sears MasterCard
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Fraud alert question!

I had the same happen to me twice via a BofA CC and a Wach/WF CC. In both times the CCs were cloned likely by a handheld skimmer. I never filed a FA because they didn't have access to my credit. But I did call the police both times despite the CCCs catching and blocking the charges and of course had the CCC issue new CCs. I also ordered my reports frequently following that just in case it was something bigger or more coordinated.

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

+1

Credit reporting issues are secondary, and if they should occur, can always be dealt with via the FCRA identity theft process, which permits a consumer to send a police report to the CRA and immediately get the information blocked from their credit report.

I would get the CCC to issue a new card.

Message 3 of 4
DannyC990

When I call to dispute the transaction, the PNC rep went ahead and re-ordered a debit card for me. She says I can't dispute it until the transaction posts on my account. Just to be safe, I changed my banking passwords as well. I just wasn't sure if it was necessary to do anything else.

Current credit cards:
PNC Secured, Capital One Secured, Target, Ashley Funiture/Synchrony, Sears MasterCard
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.