Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud in my sister CR, what to do?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fraud in my sister CR, what to do?

guys, my little sister (18y.o) just got her SSN on early 2007, today i was pulling her CR from annualcreditreport.com and the security question bring me and my sis to surprise because it asking "on 2006 you open a mortgage, what is the company and what is the monthly payment?" We were like HUH?? and because i picked the answer all as "none of the above" it wont let me view the CR and told her to send her identity to the customer service of annualcreditreport.com Does anyone had this kind of problem before? my sister never apply for any CC and never use her credit to get any inquiries. Pls help
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Fraud in my sister CR, what to do?

It is not uncommon for that question to be asked even if you don't have a mortgage, or at least that is what happened to me.

To be safe, I'd call each CRA individually and request a copy of her CR. She would have to call. Once she gets the report, if anything is wrong, then she should file a police report for ID theft. That police report will aid her in cleaning her CR and a fraud alert will stop any future attempts at her credit.
Message 2 of 5
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

I've always been asked about a mortgage and picked none of the above...  That's strange that it locked you out because of it, indicating there is a mortgage on the report....  Definitely give whichever bureau a call.  In the mean time, you might try one of the other bureaus and see if you can view their reports.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

o well when i picked the Experian credit report in that annualcreditreport.com it also asked me about the mortgage (different year) but i picked none of the above and i got through the CR. but with eq and tu, i cant get through to view my CR. but yes i`ll call eq directly tmrrw to see what is going on. thx all
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

annualcreditreport.com matches your answers to information in your credit file in order to verify your identity. They are looking for three matches to make sure it is really you.

Unfortunately, if you haven't had much credit, they may not have three items to match. In that case, they won't be able to validate your identity online.

When that happened to one of my family members, she had to ask for her report by mail. She included a photocopy of her Social Security Card and Driver's License to prove it was really her.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.