Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freezing Only One Bureau

tag
Kaitlyn

Freezing Only One Bureau

Hello,

I searched all over the internet and can't find any answers about freezing only one bureau, and was hoping that someone on here could help?

My Background:

I am in my early 20's and have been recently trying to build my credit. I checked my credit reports including Innovis and Chexsystems, and they were all mostly correct, but I couldn't get Equifax online.

I mailed in a copy of my SS card, State ID and electric bill requesting my free credit report. Three weeks later I received a letter from Equifax adressed to a completely wrong name that I have never used, and said that my information does not match their records. It said to send in a SS card State ID and electric bill, which I had already done.

I recently started to get debt collections in the mail for this other person that Experian address their letter to, and am denied opening a bank account because of the Experian report that is obviously incorrect. I still have been unable to get a credit report at this time. I sent in another request including my passport, and different sized copies of the other documents, but I'm still waiting for a response. They will not help over the phone, and I can't access online.

I can't file as identity theft, because I can't get a credit report, and there is no evidence that it is a crime. As far as I can see, it is an Equifax mix up of my account with someone else. I also hear that once identity theft has been filed, it can mess up all of my other credit reports and cause long term headaches.

My Questions:

1: Can I freeze only my Equifax report?

2: Can I still apply for bank accounts and credit cards as long as all of the other bureaus are not frozen?

3: Can I dispute and add good credit history to Equifax while it is frozen?

Thank you so much,

Kate

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Freezing Only One Bureau

@Kaitlyn wrote:

Hello,

I searched all over the internet and can't find any answers about freezing only one bureau, and was hoping that someone on here could help?

My Background:

I am in my early 20's and have been recently trying to build my credit. I checked my credit reports including Innovis and Chexsystems, and they were all mostly correct, but I couldn't get Equifax online.

I mailed in a copy of my SS card, State ID and electric bill requesting my free credit report. Three weeks later I received a letter from Equifax adressed to a completely wrong name that I have never used, and said that my information does not match their records. It said to send in a SS card State ID and electric bill, which I had already done.

I recently started to get debt collections in the mail for this other person that Experian address their letter to, and am denied opening a bank account because of the Experian report that is obviously incorrect. I still have been unable to get a credit report at this time. I sent in another request including my passport, and different sized copies of the other documents, but I'm still waiting for a response. They will not help over the phone, and I can't access online.

I can't file as identity theft, because I can't get a credit report, and there is no evidence that it is a crime. As far as I can see, it is an Equifax mix up of my account with someone else. I also hear that once identity theft has been filed, it can mess up all of my other credit reports and cause long term headaches.

My Questions:

1: Can I freeze only my Equifax report? Yes 

2: Can I still apply for bank accounts and credit cards as long as all of the other bureaus are not frozen? Yes

3: Can I dispute and add good credit history to Equifax while it is frozen? Not sure what you're asking pls clarify ,,,,if its something thats already reporting yes it will update monthly as normal......or a new TL

Thank you so much,

Kate

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 7
Kaitlyn

Thank you myjourney.

So there is no downside to freezing the one bureau, new lenders will base decisions based on the others? I really just don't want to be refused credit, apartments, jobs etc based on an extremely mixed up and incorrect Equifax.

On #3 I meant can I still dispute everything that is incorrect while the credit report is frozen? Also will new credit cards report positive history to Equifax still?

Message 3 of 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Kaitlyn wrote:

Thank you myjourney.

So there is no downside to freezing the one bureau, new lenders will base decisions based on the others? I really just don't want to be refused credit, apartments, jobs etc based on an extremely mixed up and incorrect Equifax. The only exception would be someone who pulls EQ they may ask you for your pin but you can always ask them... can they pull one of the others some will some won't

On #3 I meant can I still dispute everything that is incorrect while the credit report is frozen? yes you can still work on your file 

Also will new credit cards report positive history to Equifax still? Yes 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 7
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

My suggestion would be to call the equifax security department. You may have what's known as a merged file, where your credit report is merged with someone else.

My dad had this but the difference was that he was actually able to access his credit report.

We got it straightened out over the phone. I was there helping him and we had it on speaker phone. After we got all this straight he applies for an RV loan the following year and pulled an 800 club score.

It can be fixed. Do you have any credit in your name at all?
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 5 of 7
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Also I am unclear from your post... Is it experian that has the wrong information or is it equifax?

Also keep in mind that sometimes people intentionally switch around numbers of their social security number when they apply for credit or get utilities... In this way it looks like a typo, but in fact it's a pattern of fraud.

We believe this was why my dads credit was impacted by someone named George who lived in Wisconsin ha! My dad lives in louisiana
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 6 of 7
Kaitlyn

Hi webhopper,

Equifax is the one that has it wrong. I have tried talking with them on the phone and they told me to mail in copies of my SS card, ID and utility bills. I'm hoping I can get an actual report and be able to dispute it. Until then I guess freezing with Equifax is the best option?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.