Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freezing a profile

tag
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

Freezing a profile

Can freezing credit profiles be used as sort of a discipline measure in terms of stopping yourself from applying for anything? Or, maybe more accurately, can it be used to show lenders that you're serious about having no interest in opening new accounts going forward?

I ask because outside of one pending application for the Sallie Mae card that they can't seem to access correctly, I'm done applying for anything. I have every card I could possibly want. My car is paid off and in great condition so I won't be applying for an auto loan for a very long time, same with a mortgage, student loans, or any other type of loan. I'm truly in a moment in time where I'll be doing nothing but gardening for several years. I can look up what freezing a profile does, but I figured I'd ask those who have personal experience. If I freeze my reports is this a bad thing? Will the reports update with new payments etc, just as they would normally? Can I instruct the credit bureau to freeze my reports for a specified period of time where even I can't undo the request?

Any help would be appreciated, it's time to seriously garden and if freezing my reports helps accomplish this it might be something I look at.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Freezing a profile

@dapps06 wrote:

Can freezing credit profiles be used as sort of a discipline measure in terms of stopping yourself from applying for anything?

I guess it can if you can avoid unfreezing to let an app go through anyway.

@dapps06 wrote:

Or, maybe more accurately, can it be used to show lenders that you're serious about having no interest in opening new accounts going forward?

Nope.  Your credit is assessed based on what's in the report -- not on whether or not a creditor can pull the report.

@dapps06 wrote:

I can look up what freezing a profile does, but I figured I'd ask those who have personal experience.  If I freeze my reports is this a bad thing?

Neither.  All it does is prevent those without an existing relationship from pulling your report.

@dapps06 wrote:

Will the reports update with new payments etc, just as they would normally?

Yes.

@dapps06 wrote:

Can I instruct the credit bureau to freeze my reports for a specified period of time where even I can't undo the request?

No.

You should definitely read up (i.e. not just relying on asking in a forum) if you're considering freezing.  You could have very quickly answered many of your questions.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Freezing a profile

I did this for some time to keep from getting too many unwanted viewers.  I liked it.  BUT....put your passcode they give you someplace where you can keep it.  They are very serious about you having it to unfreeze your report.  Also, you can unfreeze for a specific vendor for a specific period, as Ford Credit, whatever.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.